Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Mark's Low Range Gears

Looking for advice *again*.

So... I've talked to the people that sold me my H55f a year ago and they are replacing it for free under warranty (it has lots of issues). Now that I am replacing the tranny, I am taking the opportunity to rebuild the transfer case, and replace the clutch again. I am hoping to finally resolve my 4wd high vibration that I have been chasing for a year, and replace my clutch that has recently started to slip to the point that i no longer want to take the truck on a trail.

Anyways, I got a used transfer case in the hopes that i'd throw some bearings in it, throw it on my new H55f when it came and do the whole swaparoo in a day.. but as luck would have it I have more work to do than that.

I pulled the transfer case I bought apart and it looks like it needs a new intermediate gear, and output shaft. I'd pull the bits out of mine and build one good one, but I know my output shaft is worn also (was worn when I rebuilt it a year ago), and I don't want to mix gears from the two cases for fear of noise/wear issues.

Anyways, that leads me to new gears. So, new gears are waaayyyy expensive, and the Mark's gears are only slightly waaay expensive. I am tempted to get the Mark's gears and rebuild the case to like new again (the mark's kit comes with all the gears).

Any comments on that low range gear set from Mark's? Are they bad? Super loud? Super good? I have not had a chance to talk to anybody that has run them.. I'd love to get that low gear ratio.
82 FJ40
Old 09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I've always thought they would be good in the 70.

Hulk has them in his 40...
TLCA#4180
Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I had them on order from man-it-ain't-free and they called me just now to tell me they are out of stock for "several months"

looking around it seems the $1400 price that MAF had them at is no longer.. since the dollar is so weak they have gone up to $2400 everywhere else. there's no way i can justify that.

Looks like I'll be mixing and matching gears after all.

bummer.
82 FJ40
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I paid less than $1400, but not by much. This was in 2003, and the dollar was stronger. And I did buy everything from MAF -- everywhere else involved shipping from AUS.

They are louder, but not crazy annoying loud.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Marco, Have you considered a doubler? I absolutely love mine in my 62 and if I built another 6x series wagon it would be on the top of my list of goodies! I wish I could do one in the 40 but even with a stretched wheelbase the rear shaft gets too short and the front gets to long.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was lookiing at the gears because mine are not in great shape.... so it was an opportunity to get new ones, and have the low range. It looks like prices have indeed gone up, and people have slowed down on importing them because they have gotten so expensive... so that has put me in a situation where I am looking for replacement stock gears.

Now I am thinking about a toy box since it wold end up costing much less than those gears. i already need a new front DS so that really dosen't play into the cost.

Maybe I need to check out that doubler on your truck and see how it all goes together.
82 FJ40
Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I was lookiing at the gears because mine are not in great shape.... so it was an opportunity to get new ones, and have the low range. It looks like prices have indeed gone up, and people have slowed down on importing them because they have gotten so expensive... so that has put me in a situation where I am looking for replacement stock gears.

Now I am thinking about a toy box since it wold end up costing much less than those gears. i already need a new front DS so that really dosen't play into the cost.

Maybe I need to check out that doubler on your truck and see how it all goes together.
I sold that truck but basically it was the reduction unit from a Dana 203 (2:1) with AA adapters. It worked very well! It was better gearing by itself for snow bashing, the stock T-case were great gears for most wheeling duties and both levers back crawled very slow.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I sold that truck but basically it was the reduction unit from a Dana 203 (2:1) with AA adapters. It worked very well! It was better gearing by itself for snow bashing, the stock T-case were great gears for most wheeling duties and both levers back crawled very slow.
It did work very well!

Kipper had a blast with it. I was impressed when we crawled around Hell's Revenge with it...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!