Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
After getting the lights working, I found that the intermittently they worked too good as the brake lights would remain on after I took my foot off the brake pedal. Turns out this issue was caused by the brake light switch not opening to break the circuit because the brake pedal did not consistently "pull up" to open the brake light switch.

Some research on the net and I learned there is a spring between the steering column and the brake pedal that provides additional "pull up" when my foot is taken off the brake pedal. I had been wondering what the spring hanging unattached on my steering column was for and now I know. My spring was not attached to the brake pedal, after hooking it up, my brake pedal goes all the way up and the brake switch opens - which results in the brake lights turning off.
Alright, now I know what's causing my problem, too. Got a picture of where those springs should attach?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Got a picture of where those springs should attach?
It is much tighter quarters up there than I realized. Getting a good picture of the spring and its attachment points is tough. I took about 10 and none of them were that great. I cropped out big parts because they were so busy with other stuff it is hard to find the spring. Here is the best one I could get of the spring from end to end. On the left it attaches where the steering column passes under/through the dash.

The right hand side of the brake pedal has a round disk with a groove that the spring slips right into. It just rides in the groove, you can see it on the far left side up near the top.
TLCA #18941
Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Lifted

Thanks. I tried looking when I got home, but my flashlight was dead. I can't remember having any spring up there at all, though.