Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Do runners have LSPV's? Like says about beer, those things are the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Do runners have LSPV's?
Yes and No. 3rd gens, depending on which ABS system you have, proportion the rear brakes through feed back from the ABS sensors. So there is proportioning but no valve, like on a Taco, that senses ride hight.

3rd gen front brakes are barely adequate. Let the rears get out of adj and the fronts take up the slack, warped rotors will soon follow.

If replacing the front with stock parts, make sure the rears are in adjustment, the adjuster is working and lubed and don't forget to use the parking brake (+ Auto tranny=no parking brake around our QTH )

The Tundra swap is no brainer easy. You just need to find the 199mm or "type A" calipers from a 1st gen Tundra that HAS NOT had the TSB swap done. J/Y, Carparts.com, or guys on Tundra Solutions, who did not qualify for the TSB and are looking to upgrade their calipers themselves are your best and cheapest sources.

Akebono (OEM supplier to Toyota USA) and Car Quest both have quality remans, expect to pay a bit more and eat the core charge.

Tundra 199mm calipers, Tundra rotors and Tundra TRD pads are the way to go. The caliper are the same in every way, 'cept the slot for the rotor, it's wider to allow for the 1/2" thicker rotor. The pistons are the same so the deltaV is the same and they will work with your existing master cylinder. The rotors are 1/2" thicker so the additional mass is a better sink and they will resist warping much better than the 'Runners. The pads are nearly identical (though not interchangeable) you have to compare them side by side to see that the Tundra's have a larger swept area.

All in all it's the best brake upgrade you can do on a 3rd gen. If you're going to pop for pads and rotors might as well go the extra mile and do it right.

Did mine over a year ago ad I haven't looked back.

Last edited by Seldom Seen; 10-13-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool sig line image summarily stolen!! LOL
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Seldom Seen touched on the real root cause-the rears are likely not doing their share of the braking-causing the fronts to overwork.

Lots of threads on t4r.org or YotaTech regarding the Tundra conversion. If you don't tow or ride the brakes excessively descending mountain passes, most folks never need that much of an upgrade.

Having come from a Gen 2 4Runner-the 3rd gen brakes are plenty adequate

Slotted/cross drilled rotors have their fans while others say it is a waste of money.

Save your friend's money and consider Brembo or AutoZone rotors-Brembo's maybe $20 more for the name brand. Auto Zone replaceable under warranty and some folks just swap them out every year or so.

I had Irbis do my brakes, I would never trust myself with a system so critical to my passengers' safety. I guess I must be a 1 banana mechanic.

I used Brembo rotors and the 4Runner upgrade pad-the bite of the pedal is now significantly improved. Ask for the upgrade pad-not the stock pad replacement. I can provide part number if needed.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731