Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Spooky night pre-run

just came in to post up how Clear KC0UBN abd KC0NAK were coming in while on the Spooky night pre-run. They are still coming down Kingston peak towards Central city, and Nakman asked anyone to wants to join in the fun to get on the airwaves....

It sounded like they were right next to me they were coming in so clear. I am in centennial

KD0EXO -- out.....
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Rising Sun member

What freq they on? 145.145?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

yes, but last i heard UB had an issue with a brake caliper, and they were heading toward the grave yard above Central City...... lost them soon after.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
What freq they on? 145.145?
Thats the interesting part! We were on low power (1 watt) simplex! Neil sounded like he was with us!

The brake caliper part was VERY SPOOKY! I had just slid the t-case back into high and clicked off the center diff. When I stepped on my brake right after that the right front locked up hard and it felt like ABS was energized! Checked everything out and tryed pulling the ABS circuit breaker to no avail. Nakman was the hero and spotted the right caliper was crooked. He dipped under my truck and emerged with a caliper bolt! I got very lucky as it hadn't fallen out and got lost! No threads were stripped and the bolt went right back in with no problem. Checked the drivers side afterwords and it was not tight either but it wasn't loose. I torque and recheck those bolts religiously whenever they are messed with! Only thing I can guess is they haven't been checked since we left for Rubithon so they must have worked their way loose somehow! That is really scary as if that happened when on the highway or just cruising fast on any road would have been catastrophic as the vehicle would have spun around violently as the wheel would be wedged solid by the caliper! Very spooky stuff! CHECK YOUR CALIPER BOLTS PERIODICALLY! I will for sure!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Fun talking to you Neil, yeah it was like you were in the truck right next to me, and we were both on 1 watt too... I loved the "yeah you should probably take the bypass" comments, knowing you were 30+ miles away.

So for geeks who can NOT make the spooky night run this Saturday night, feel free to listen in/join in on the group, 146.460 simplex. I bet by 8:00-8:30 we'll all be back in the trucks after dinner then headed up to the top of the hill, so that would be a good time to start listening for us. Dual banders will be monitoring 145.145 as well...

edit: And , you know what they say even a blind squirrel is right twice a day, it felt good to get lucky last night and find that bolt, it was just laying on top of the steering arm.. Spoooooooookkkyyyyyy....

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Tim, Kevin thanks again for letting me tag along. It was very spooky and a great experience. As I recall in addition to the trail repair, the strap came out once. For everyone that is going out, in addition to the good advice from Tim and Kevin I would add that you should be prepared for the cold/windy weather. It should be a great time tomorrow night.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Fun talking to you Neil, yeah it was like you were in the truck right next to me, and we were both on 1 watt too... I loved the "yeah you should probably take the bypass" comments, knowing you were 30+ miles away.
:
I had a great time as well.
I was cracking up on the play by play commentary of Kevin going over the REALLY BIG rock.... I have not spent a great deal of time on the airwaves since i got my license because my Antenna got trashed. the new dual band Commet really seems to do well.... I was just scanning when i could have sworn i heard Kevin, and sure enough it was

Just cannot get over how clear you guys sounded...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
I had a great time as well.
I was cracking up on the play by play commentary of Kevin going over the REALLY BIG rock.... I have not spent a great deal of time on the airwaves since i got my license because my Antenna got trashed. the new dual band Commet really seems to do well.... I was just scanning when i could have sworn i heard Kevin, and sure enough it was

Just cannot get over how clear you guys sounded...
It is amazing the quality of the sound on the 2 meter vs Cb. Two summers ago I knew three wheel ben was up around the Argentine Pass area camping and I tried is call sign a couple of times and dang if he did not answer. it is very cool when you recognize voices or hear your call sign when you don't expect it.
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008