Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 22R Aisan carb questions

I'm pretty comfortable with the Aisans in my Cruisers, but this is my first look at the carb on a 22R (and i have no FSM ).

This is in the '82 minitruck I picked up recently. It seems to be having trouble cold-starting, so I opened it up to see if I could figure it out. I assume it's the choke because it runs great once it warms up.

I'm hoping someone with experience with these can help me identify some of this since the wiring has been messed with and I'm not sure how this type of choke is supposed to operate.

Looks like the (electric?) choke is on the left with the red wire coming from it:

The choke is not moveable when it's not running and is in the open position. Once I start it, it stays open but it becomes moveable and I can close it by hand if I give it some throttle. It will not stay closed. It almost seems like it could be something wrong with the linkage, but I'm not sure how these operate. It's cold out there right now, probably in the 40's and I would think this should close automatically when I first start it.

Wiring could be an issue as it looks suspect and spliced. Not sure it's connected properly:

If anyone has some experience with this carb/choke, some input would be great.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dean, Dean, Dean. PM me for his phone if you need it. He had his 1980 carb rebuilt at the local place, Import Carb up in Arvada at 52nd and Ward. He was very happy with it. In his case the choke pull-off had failed and it was no longer available for the 20R carb from Toyota. This guy has a source, gets them from Japan or something.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Dean, Dean, Dean. PM me for his phone if you need it. He had his 1980 carb rebuilt at the local place, Import Carb up in Arvada at 52nd and Ward. He was very happy with it. In his case the choke pull-off had failed and it was no longer available for the 20R carb from Toyota. This guy has a source, gets them from Japan or something.
So it sounds likely that the electric choke unit itself might be faulty? Any way to check/diagnose it? I was wondering if I wired a jumper to it if there was a way to see if it's operating, but I'm not sure how it functions based on the temperature, etc.

PM'd you to get in contact with Dean.

Thanks!

'85 FJ60
Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

google searching turned up this for me:

22R carburetor FAQ

Had some good info.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

After going through this carb and gleaning an understanding of the function, it appears the stock choke is controlled via a combination of electric coil and Bi-metal switching valve that is connected via a mess of horrible linkage.

I'm wondering why Toyota didn't just put a cable controlled choke on it.

Anyone done this?

'85 FJ60