Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Rear Heater hoses

From the e-mail list “thread” I started regarding rear heater hose routing and some smaller projects completed with my 40, this is something that might be good to have in the forum in the event it may help someone else in the future. I’ve included the salient points that were contributed by others…

Picking up on Nakman's thought from last week I'll take the lead on starting this weeks general chat e-mail, as well as post a question. The question regards the rear heater hoses. Have any of you guys had them routed under the fuel tank. I have a 1971 and was in the process of replacing the hoses when I found they are routed under the fuel tank and there appears to be a bolted clamp which will require elevating (maybe even removing) the fuel tank. Does this sound like it should be the case? I just filled up the tank on Friday, so I really couldn't lift if up too far to get a good look underneath. If I end up having to remove the tank, is it as simple as running it to empty, removing the straps, disconnecting the hoses?

It was a productive weekend for cruiser stuff. I removed/replaced the windshield channel from my cap, three of the seven rivets had failed and there was a bunch of air streaming in. The replacement went fairly smooth and there is no longer the wind stream, the cab is much quieter now. I also installed a seal between the windshield and the cap, the truck did not have one.

Smaller projects completed also included installing rubber caps on the brake, clutch and gas pedals. Installing new hinge pins and bushings for the doors. Put in a new drivers side window regulator and best of all put my heater back together with the rebuild kit from Shane. Both heaters have been wire brushed, primed and painted in rustoleum hammer silver - they look cool. My heater cores were tested at the radiator shop and should be good to go. My vent cable was sticking, but after removing and lubing up it now works smooth as silk. Soon as I figure out how to get the rear hoses out from under the fuel tank, I'll get it all put back together. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for defroster tubes and I should be good to go for some winter driving.

Matt Nakari:
Others will know more than me – but in the case of my ’77 removing the fuel tank (under the passenger seat) was just that easy. Take the seat out, take the straps off and unplug the hoses/sending unit. I did it half a dozen times (not a fan of poly tanks J ) with no ill effects.
Unfortunately I never got around to hooking up my rear heater, so I don’t know where the hoses should run
Jeff Zepp:
Yes, that (routed under the fuel tank) is the stock routing.

Yes, it's a bit of a PITA, but that's (routed under the fuel tank and there appears to be a bolted clamp which will require elevating (maybe even removing) the fuel tank) where the factory put them.

That's (having to remove the tank, is it as simple as running it to empty, removing the straps, disconnecting the hoses) what I always do.

I had a productive cruiser weekend also. Last weekend I had welded in the passenger side B pillar to the rear of the rockers, and ground down the welds not only there but all along where I welded the lip to the rockers. This past weekend I fabricated small strips to weld in to take up the gap from the front of both rocker lips to the A pillars, welded them in and ground them down. Quarter panels are next! Woo Hoo!. I did some test fitting of the QPs, but will need an extra pair of hands to mark where to cut. Any takers?

Don't you love it when some part of a project goes as expected? That's a good feeling!

As I wrote above, you do need to lift the tank. After doing it so many times, if all you're doing is messing with the hoses or the hump, I have a technique that is way less work than taking the tank out completely. After removing the passenger seat and removing the two tank straps, lift the front left corner of the tank and put a piece of scrap wood in there to hold it up. You don't have to remove the fuel line or the filler hose, but be careful not to pull on the fuel line (driver's side of the tank) so much as to stress it.

I (need to figure out what I'm going to do for defroster tubes ) went to a vacuum cleaner repair place and got a length of suitable replacement. I have some left over you are welcome to.
Ige Gustafson:
iirc, the fuel tank bottom edge is raised above the floor enough for the hoses to squeak underneath. this is just at the edge of the tank, not under the bottom. where the edge is over the floor, not in the pan. i currently have mine routed under the body, otherwise i'd check.
Thanks all, I thought I was on the right track and am glad to have it confirmed.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 11-16-2008 at 09:53 AM.