Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Wincher

Default Winch line length- is shorter better???

I am ordering a synthetic winch line to repace my old steel cable. I have a Warn M12 with 125' of cable currently. Should I get 125' again or go with 90-100'? The shorter line would mean that I would always have less line on the spool and therefor a stronger pull and I could use an extension if I needed a longer pull.
Any thoughts on the type of synthetic line I should go with? I like the 3/8" Viking combo line with safety thimble. http://winchline.com/wl_wst.htm

See you at CM06
Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel 1
I am ordering a synthetic winch line to repace my old steel cable. I have a Warn M12 with 125' of cable currently. Should I get 125' again or go with 90-100'? The shorter line would mean that I would always have less line on the spool and therefor a stronger pull and I could use an extension if I needed a longer pull.
Any thoughts on the type of synthetic line I should go with? I like the 3/8" Viking combo line with safety thimble. http://winchline.com/wl_wst.htm

See you at CM06
You should always stick to the design limits of the winch. On the other hand the 12k winch is more than enough winch for any situation so I really doubt you would have any problems going to 150'. Check out Rockstomper.com for syth cable and supplies.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Wincher

Will 150' of 3/8" line fit on the M12?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Wincher

I talked to Jim out at Winchline.com over the phone. I wanted to make sure I would get the new line before CM06. I ended up ordering a 3/8" 125' Combination Fire/Viking black winch line with their safety thimble. It should be here in one week. He gave me a 10% discount off of the advertised price which made it a great deal when compaired to other sites I found on-line. He also said he would give 10% off to anyone else if they mention my name when calling. I have no affiliation with them other then being a new customer but that is what he told me. I just wanted to pass on the info for others who may be in the market for a new synthetic line. Thanks for the input Ben.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel 1
I talked to Jim out at Winchline.com over the phone. I wanted to make sure I would get the new line before CM06. I ended up ordering a 3/8" 125' Combination Fire/Viking black winch line with their safety thimble. It should be here in one week. He gave me a 10% discount off of the advertised price which made it a great deal when compaired to other sites I found on-line. He also said he would give 10% off to anyone else if they mention my name when calling. I have no affiliation with them other then being a new customer but that is what he told me. I just wanted to pass on the info for others who may be in the market for a new synthetic line. Thanks for the input Ben.
Thats really cool....Snorkle!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

hey snorkle...what are you doing with that old steel winch cable? care to donate to help with the jenny creek trail restoration?
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon
hey snorkle...what are you doing with that old steel winch cable? care to donate to help with the jenny creek trail restoration?
I would be happy to. What do are you going to use it for? I can bring it with to Moab if that would work. I just need to know where to drop it off when I get there. Or I may be able to drop it off on the way through Colorado. I will be taking I70.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

either way...i live close to i70, and many rising sun members (including myself will be at moab)...it will be used to rope off a mudbog on a local trail that's in danger of being shut down.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Wincher

I'll bring it with to Moab then. I'm glad you can use it.