Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

No argument that it is a VERY nice truck. No holds barred, no expense spared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
a basically brand new cruiser.
But this is the crux if you ask me. An actual brand new Cruiser goes for $74,000. Add the full Slee suite of bumpers and sliders and you're at $80,000. Even if you add in the cost of new suspension, tires and lockers, it's still a whole lot less. It's obviously not a fair comparison since the 200 series is a different beast, but I just can't see how $158,000 is ever justifiable for what's just a really nice looking shell of a Cruiser. For $150 big I want a real FJ43 restored exactly like it came from Japan, bouncy leaf springs, stinky carb and all.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Lifted

If I ever found myself to be filthy rich, I would drop the dime on an Icon in a heartbeat. I love the work they put into them, and love pretty much everything about them, except for the price. Since I have an average, low-paying job, I'll stick to the old-fashioned way of building mine up to something as close as possible, over many, many years.

Honestly, though, Is there even any other builder (of any type of car) that go so far as to powder coat the body. I'm not familiar with one.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nuts

TLC rig but not being sold by TLC...Being sold by a lady up in UT...I've seen her auctions a LOT in the past and in fact she bid on my '76 when I was selling it. What is funny is she wanted to buy it after the auction ended (it failed to meet the reserve) for about 1/2 of what I wanted for it...She told me that was all it was worth - Don't know anything else about her or the rigs she sells but something tells me she didn't spend $158K on the ICON.

That said, I wouldn't mind owning that machine, just not for $158K....I'd be skerred to go anywhere in it!
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
If I ever found myself to be filthy rich, I would drop the dime on an Icon in a heartbeat. I love the work they put into them, and love pretty much everything about them, except for the price. Since I have an average, low-paying job, I'll stick to the old-fashioned way of building mine up to something as close as possible, over many, many years.

Honestly, though, Is there even any other builder (of any type of car) that go so far as to powder coat the body. I'm not familiar with one.
Yeah, me too - although I would probably go directly through TLC and order it the way I wanted - last I heard they were topping out around $100-$120k, so I don't know where this person is getting $157k - maybe its the automotive equivalent of the real estate agent who throws their own house on the market every spring for 40% more than its worth - you never know who's going to drive by.

Also, Factoryfive (another place I'd like to spend some coin, although considerably less than $ than TLC - http://www.factoryfive.com/rdsterhome.html ) powdercoats their frames - I think it's only about a $200 option.
-Matt