Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Rising Sun member

Default '91 Truck headlight upgrade?

Just wondering if there are any easy headlight upgrades for a '91 truck?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Rising Sun member

I went to Cruiser Outfitters and saw IPF has replacement lights for these trucks. Anybody with experience with these?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I run Hella housings, can't complain. But I will go with IPF next time (I have a cracked lens in one headlight). The IPF units are a bit less common and 'specially so 7 or whatever years ago when I bought them.

In any case, E-code headlights are a MAJOR improvement over sealed beams. Sharper pattern, better focus. One important thing is if you get euro headlights, make sure to get housings made for left hand drive vehicles. Really, it's important. The E-code pattern has a kick up that is designed to illuminate signs on the side of the road and if the headlight is designed for JDM, England, Australia, etc., the side illumination will be on the left instead of the right and puts it in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Blinding John Law is a sure way to draw attention to your headlights...

I find that 55/60 bulbs are sufficient with euro style headlights, definitely don't need much more than 55 watts on low beam. Which brings up the other half of the equation. Get a headlight harness. I got mine from Roger Brown, but there may be other sources. Make sure whatever harness you get that it's designed for a dual filament bulb and switched ground. You need a couple of diodes in the harness to make the high beam indicator work right. If you need help with this, let me know. Roger's had the diodes built-in, but it's not difficult to modify a harness to work right with Toyota.

Anyway, this is the harness that wires relays straight from the battery. This is part of the reason that 55/60 bulbs are OK in my system, much, much brighter. You'll get about 1V more at the bulbs, maybe a bit more. That works out to a difference of 12~13V up to ~14V, which is a major jump in brightness. I run regular Osram or Hella H4 halogens, usually 55/60 but Hella makes a 55/100 this is nice when you're doing lots of lonely night miles (like I-70 from Fruita to Green River or highway 89 through north AZ). I find the white and blue bulbs irritating and prefer the yellowish white of a real halogen bulb. I look for bulbs in the 3500~4000K temp range personally. But that's a personal thing, some people feel very white lights seem brighter to them. Extremely cool light just make my eyes tired.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

+1 on Roger Brown's headlight harness. Made a very noticeable difference. Going to the higher end Sylvania Silver Stars (H4s in very cheap glass from AutoZone, wouldn't recommend that part) also made quite a difference. Fairly inexpensive option, too.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

+2 on Roger's harness.

Lots of good options listed above.

Hasn't been listed yet, but before it does:

My own $.02 is to plead that you stay away from HID stuff. I have written 5 letters now to my various state and federal reps trying to get these banned, at the very least, in CO, and best would be nationwide.

They are simply blinding, and actually cause pain to my eyes. I will pull over if a vehicle with HID's gets behind me. I've been tempted to buy some 10" Lightforce's and aim them backwards to give them a taste.

Hopefully they will be gone soon.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead