Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default sorry - didn't answer your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
Nakman, I asked around and got the same/similar stories on Optima. I then talked with Ron at Rocky Mtn Cruisers, and DJs Traction out in SLC who did my motor/tranny swap...they both put the high-end Napas in their own rigs. Ya'know, whatever sealed batteries they sell...

I'm with 60wag on this, Napa's are everywhere, and if something goes wrong, I can usually find one to take advantage of whatever kind of warranty/pro-rated thing they have going.

So far so good...over 2years now...

CardinalFJ60
FWIW...Still the same battery...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Haven't bought a blem or second but did buy my group 31 Deka from them. Great battery and service is good.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Holy old thread! Hey my Orbitals are still going, so to speak. I killed one of them running my seat heaters all day more than a few times, it wouldn't hold a good charge anymore even removing it and trickle charging overnight. But Checker gave me a deal on the replacement, I think they prorate the cost over the 80 months or something, anyway it was about half price for a brand new one. So I've got one newish (6 months?) battery, and one 3 year old battery, both doing well.

I'm still happy with the decision and would recommend it- buy a super common battery from a chain store that comes with a warranty, so you can get a new one just about any time, any where. Not the place to be "exclusive," IMO.

edit: And in my first and only yellow top experience, Crash that battery I bought from you is still doing well. It spent a brief tenure in the plow truck, then moved over to to Subaru, then it went camping on the Ouray trip in the camper, then it rested inside the garage for a few months. When it started getting cold I brought it inside the house and stuck it in the closet. And wouldn't you know it, two weeks ago someone left something on and ran the battery down in the Subaru, so I swapped in the yellow top and voila back in business. After trickle charging and testing the other battery it's back in there now, with the Optima back on the shelf ready for its next job.. one thing I learned last winter being an hour away and 10 colder than everyone else is having a nice warm backup battery inside the house can be a wonderful thing, glad I got one of the good ones!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

I out an Exide Orbital in my 40. Boy, seat heaters would be nice right now.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

I bought an Excide Orbital for Rachels 4runner and it died after 3 years. The 2nd battery in my truck is also an excide. I noticed when I ran my primary down while camping that the backup almost didn't start the truck.

On my list before Spring is a new battery
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

[quote= snip

edit: And in my first and only yellow top experience, Crash that battery I bought from you is still doing well. It spent a brief tenure in the plow truck, then moved over to to Subaru, then it went camping on the Ouray trip in the camper, then it rested inside the garage for a few months. When it started getting cold I brought it inside the house and stuck it in the closet. And wouldn't you know it, two weeks ago someone left something on and ran the battery down in the Subaru, so I swapped in the yellow top and voila back in business. After trickle charging and testing the other battery it's back in there now, with the Optima back on the shelf ready for its next job.. one thing I learned last winter being an hour away and 10 colder than everyone else is having a nice warm backup battery inside the house can be a wonderful thing, glad I got one of the good ones! [/QUOTE]

Glad to read this Nakman. Back up is always a good thing!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just a FYI, we stock the Optima reverse terminal for the 80
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I bought an Excide Orbital for Rachels 4runner and it died after 3 years. The 2nd battery in my truck is also an excide. I noticed when I ran my primary down while camping that the backup almost didn't start the truck.

On my list before Spring is a new battery
That's about on par with my experience, Ken. Maybe the better question is, how long should one of these batteries last? Under normal use, being winching a few times a year, running it dead while camping a couple times a year, a few -0 starts, etc.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's about on par with my experience, Ken. Maybe the better question is, how long should one of these batteries last? Under normal use, being winching a few times a year, running it dead while camping a couple times a year, a few -0 starts, etc.
No winch, but otherwise similar mistreatment of batteries. I got 7 years from the last Red Top and my current Red Top is about 2 years now (with addition of fridge, that should punish it sufficiently).

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

The NEW Sears Die Hard Platinum is the same battery as the Odyssey. There is a thread on MUD showing both batteries and they are identical except for color. As mentioned above...I bought the biggest one they had and it just barely fits in the tray (with very slight trim of the corner). They also sell one the same size as stock (27, I believe). This thing has so much cranking power and with the deep cell, I hope it does well after being drained. It's only been in there for a month or so, so I can't speak to longevity, but owners of the Odyssey batteries who chimed in on MUD completely swear by them over the Optima. On sale at Sears, it was around $200. Not cheap, but not too bad for what it promises and the warranty is easy at Sears. I had a red-top prior, but it was having trouble in the cold. PO put it in only three years ago.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"