Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Replacement wheels for a SAAB

I've had an ongoing issue with one of the wheels on my 9-3. The passenger side front would drop to 15 psi about once a month. I'd pump it up and it would be fine for several weeks, then it'd leak down again.

Last week I took it over to the tire shop and they reseated the tire and added some sealer along with ROTATING the tires. So the flaky wheel is in the rear and holding air. Last night I go to drive the car and the pass side front is flat. Huh? I haven't inspected the tire yet. Maybe I ran over a nail and its just bad luck but it seems odd. The wheels are the OE aluminum ones and they all have some flat spots on the rim close to the bead, (PO or my daughter). I'm wondering if the dents are just making for a poor seal at the bead. Did I mention how much I hate 50 series tires? I'd like to put a set of 33"s on there and make it pothole proof but that won't fit.

Anyhow, I see that there are some aftermarket rims available through Discount or TireRack in the $80/rim range. Are these junk or not? Is there a local shop that does rim reconditioning that can true up my old rims for less than the cost of new ones? I'm not up for bling just something round. I see steel is available but I hate hubcaps and prefer the one piece alloy setup. TIA

Bruce
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Most rims today meet minium DOT specs and should be a fairly good rim. That said, there is junk meeting the min specs as you know from the off roading side of things. Are these rims a off brand or name brand. I believe that if they are a name brand then the rim should be a good quality, maybe not great, but good. Have you tried to get some older used SAAB rims from either of the EOS's(boulder and broomfield) or Mile high body in Denver? I have seen used rims pop up for reasonable from time to time on Craigs list as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Lifted

What year 9-3 and what rims, specifically? A few different rims are notorious for being soft. I've had problems keeping air in mine as well, but after having them reseated a ffew times they've been holding air for the last year.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

This place is excellent:
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

I had them redo the wheels on my old Audi S4, and they ended up looking better than new!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Big thumbs up for Jerry Danner at Mile High Auto Body as mentioned by Powder Pig. It's a big Saab recycling yard located at W. 5th Ave. and Lipan - one block south and one block west of W. 6th Ave. and Kalamath. Jerry was at the Breckenridge Brewery the night the Rubithon Crew had its organizational meeting and joined us for more than a few cold ones. Mention Rising Sun and you might get a club discount!!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Lifted

Yeah, Mile Hi has always been my go-to shop for all my Saab needs. However, I'm trying to sell my Saab so I don't have to see them so often...