Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-31-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Birf clicking/swapping success/failure?s 80 Series

So I soaked the heck out of my birfs and realized that they were going to have to come apart to really clean them.

I am "some" clicking mostly on the passenger side when turned right.

I have a slight wear groove on both sides...

I am going to swap sides. The cruiser is street only with skinny tires.... no real off road stuff.

I am I tempting fate and going to incur more damage? Should I let it ride and see how far I can go? What are the chances of swapping curing the clicking?

Need to put the camera on a tripod and will get a less blurry pic.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Swapping the Birfs from side to side is a common practice and AFAIK you have zero chances of incurring more damage. When you have the front end serviced at a dealership this is NOT commonly done from what I know which is probably yet another reason people choose to do the front end service themselves (aside from the $$ savings).

As for whether it will cure the clicking...Depends upon how bad they are I guess but I bet you are successful.

Have fun with gettings the balls/cage all back together...I have it on good authority that it is common for the "new" guys at dealerships to be given this job while the "seasoned" guys look on and laugh. There is a "trick" to it but I can't remember what that trick is...

Maybe someone will post it up here because I'll need to know pretty soon when I (finally) tackle mine
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 PM

Two more better quality pictures
Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yes, swap them, my bet is it ends your clicking.

edit: Your wear looks totally normal, here's an old thread with some additional info http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=1150

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

From an 80 know-nothing, so take with a grain of salt.

My birfs, however, started clicking and Bobby Long said, yeah, get them outa there, to send them back, he replaced them. For free. Others <coff coff Spanky coff> have gone lotsa miles with clicking and few side effects.

If you have Spanky's mojo, go with it. If not... well, roll the dice. I don't seem to have Spanky's mojo and I am compulsive about such things (changing birfs in the field is not on my top ten. I carry spare axles too, so let that weigh in your appraisal of my comments).

Those are some pretty good wear marks for a constant velocity joint that doesn't have lockouts. I'm thinking their best use is justification for buying some Longs. "Honey, for safety's sake..."
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bobby will not warranty Longfields for the 80 if it is a daily Driver!!!! for wear, or clicking only breakage. He does not reccommend his longfields for the 80 unless it is a trailer queen. I post a bunch of info some where recently on Mud about a customer that just went through this. I am glad he did what he did for you Bill and I know Uncle Ben is on his good side as well, but after talking to him for almost a hour and having him call me a lier in a round about way. I would have a hard time thinking he will take care of people. So if it is a daily driver go with lite duty, get some of Christo's, but if you wheel it hard(not extreme), and daily drive it then Toyota's big buck ones will be what you need. Or buy some cheep ones and replace them when they break on the trail.
It will be the cage that breaks first, so if you have any hair line cracks in the cage, then I would not put them in. I have wheel a fair amount with them clicking in the past and not have them explode. Your choice. later Robbie
Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 PM

I spoke to Christo about his light duties... He did not recommend them for my use.

I knew not to go with Longfields...

Let me try to take some pics of the cages...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM

The worst one I could find....
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well that cage isn't brand new, but still IMO "not that bad." For your truck, I'd put it back in and not worry about it- you have tiny tires, you're open in front, this isn't even a wheeling truck. Don't pull folks in reverse, don't try to back up steep hills with the wheels cranked, and if you hear clicking again ok then maybe it's time for a new one. Or maybe one day you'll want to build this sucker up and at that point these birfields can become spares but until then I wouldn't worry. IMO, of course.

www.gamiviti.com