Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.[/quote]

All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's going to be hard to top this year's snow run. Muy bueno!

I only took a handful of pics.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.
All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.[/quote]

i've used starting fluid, or brakeclean, but anything flammable works. i prefer to use one of those long stick lighters....
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
All the people on U Tube are using starting fluid (ether) to reseat the bead on the tires. There is even one where they're doing it in the winter in snow up to their a**. I'm going to get some starting fluid and practice on an old tire out behind the barn. I can see why ether works a lot better than white gas.

i've used starting fluid, or brakeclean, but anything flammable works. i prefer to use one of those long stick lighters....
Learned the starting fluid trick many years ago while I was still in High School. I worked at a Co-Op in Eaton and sometimes brand new truck tires just wont air up because they were stacked too high in the shipment and the beads were too squished together. I always make a "fuse" from the bead to the edge of the tire with a close sprit. ALWAYS STAND INLINE OF THE TIRE!!! If you are facing the rim your gonna lose some facial hair! Simply light the wet "fuse" and look away. It works very well! Another lesson I will tell you and you can choose to listen or find out for yourself is it works best to have the core removed so you can air the tire quickly as when the heated air rapidly cools the tire might unseat again. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE STEM TO HOLD AIR WHILE YOU GRAB FOR THE AIR HOSE! Puts a very cool looking but painfull 1/4" circle on your finger tip that will last plenty long to amuse your friends! The method is actually very safe if done with caution and intelligence. It will not ruin your tire and it will not send flying rubber accross the shop. It WILL give you a fuzzy when you do it by the whole nature of the process! I always carry a can of starting fluid....go ahead check my parts box!

EDIT: Just watched the vids.... It is not a good idea to have the tire laying on the ground. If the rear bead is unseated it could pop the whole wheel/tire in the air and also flying sand/dirt might not be fun in the eyes.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Snow Bustin

Hi All,
Thanks for the great time. Search for BigDees on Youtube for some videos of the trip. Thanks again-Coyote John
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like a fun "tech" session at the next club meeting! Maybe even after Hops. There is an empty field across the street from the south Stevinson exit. Yeehaw!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Learned the starting fluid trick many years ago while I was still in High School. I worked at a Co-Op in Eaton and sometimes brand new truck tires just wont air up because they were stacked too high in the shipment and the beads were too squished together. I always make a "fuse" from the bead to the edge of the tire with a close sprit. ALWAYS STAND INLINE OF THE TIRE!!! If you are facing the rim your gonna lose some facial hair! Simply light the wet "fuse" and look away. It works very well! Another lesson I will tell you and you can choose to listen or find out for yourself is it works best to have the core removed so you can air the tire quickly as when the heated air rapidly cools the tire might unseat again. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE STEM TO HOLD AIR WHILE YOU GRAB FOR THE AIR HOSE! Puts a very cool looking but painfull 1/4" circle on your finger tip that will last plenty long to amuse your friends! The method is actually very safe if done with caution and intelligence. It will not ruin your tire and it will not send flying rubber accross the shop. It WILL give you a fuzzy when you do it by the whole nature of the process! I always carry a can of starting fluid....go ahead check my parts box!

EDIT: Just watched the vids.... It is not a good idea to have the tire laying on the ground. If the rear bead is unseated it could pop the whole wheel/tire in the air and also flying sand/dirt might not be fun in the eyes.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default A few Pic's

Here are a few more pic's..
Attached Images

trail rig
Trinidad, CO