Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 94 80 series dome lights no worky

Hopefully this is a simple question... a friend of mine has a '94 80 and his dome lights don't work. I went out there for lunch and checked the bulbs, after a little fiddling with the middle one it lit up worked, but then the fuse blew. Replaced the fuse and neither one works now. The front courtesy light works, but the middle and back dome lights don't.

weird.

Any ideas? Is there somthing that commonly goes wrong with these? On the 60 the dome light quit working because one of the mounting screws (which provides ground) was loose.. I tightened it and it fixed it. I checked these and they were fine.

I haven't gotten the multimeter out yet..
82 FJ40
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

On my 96, the two lights are on two separate circuits. The rear doors activate the rear light and the front doors activate the one over the front seats. The door switches can get a bit flaky but usually respond to some spray cleaner. If neither of the dome lights work with the 3 position switch set to "on", then the problem must be in the power source. Stick a meter on it to be sure.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Spray cleaner?

What type of spray cleaner?...My door switches are not working?

Are you talking about some kind of dielectric silicone spray? Or something else?

Thanks, Bruce.

Sorry I can't help on the dome lights...as I've said before, I truly am an "electrical MIDGET"!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"