Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default '95 80-Series Headlights and Corner Lights

I went to adjust my headlights this weekend (one was shining into nowhere) and found the brackets broken and the entire unit just bouncing around. The PO kind of rigged it to hold, but it has broken free. I need to replace the whole thing, lens, brackets, etc and I need the corner light as well on the left side. The reason I'm posting in the Tech Section and not the Fore Sale/Wanted is that I'm not sure what I want!!! Can anyone help me with the choice of Replacement Stock vs. Complete Aftermarket? And, if aftermarket is the way to go, can someone recommend a quality aftermarket lens and corner set? I see them all the time on e-bay, etc, but it's really hard to tell what is complete junk and what might be OK. I know Mike D has aftermarket lights...HELP PLEASE!!!

BTW...do you have to remove the inside of the fender to get to the corner lights on an 80?

Thanks,
Paul
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Corner lights on an 80 pull straight out after you remove the one small phillips on top. There is a slot and tab deal that holds it in and really doesn't like to let it go. I have the Depo headlights and they are good quality replacements. The only problem is that no one sells them at the moment. The best replacement is going to be OEM.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largerone View Post
IBTW...do you have to remove the inside of the fender to get to the corner lights on an 80?
This might help a bit in answering your question. First couple of pictures show you the screw that you need to remove and the "locking pin" that will make that corner light feel like it is still stuck in place --> http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_indicator.htm
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

there are a ton of 80's showing up in the parts lots these days... I know there is a 95-97 in the lot at 40th and york, and has been for some time, plus, I bet oleg has a set too

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thank you, all

I think my best bet as mentioned by others here is to look for stock replacements. Once I get them installed correctly, then I need to do the wiring and bulb upgrades. I really can't see very well with the way it is currently adjusted. Right now, the left headlight is shining on the right side of the road, and the right headlight is off doing it's own thing!!!

Thanks for the input.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

You are welcome to see if what I have works for you. I am running the Depo headlights with an H1 HID high beam and H4 single filament HID low beam. I would guess we could find a set if you liked them. This is were I found them:

tunerzimage.com
  • 1 DEP-212-1173-PXCD-E Depo Toyota Land Cruiser
    91-97 Chrome Clear Headlights...............$159.98
BavToys.com
  • H4 Prolumen 50w Digital Kit 5000K...........$290.99 for both
  • H1 UDD 500K

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ht-please.html
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, Mike D and others...I will keep this thread handy. I think my budget for the moment might have to live with a stock set-up with wiring upgrade for a while. It depends on how much I can pick up an OEM set-up for, used.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

OK...so I bought aftermarket lights (DEPO, same as TreeRoot's), but I'm not sure they are going to work with the set-up I had in mind. If anyone coming to the meeting tonight can offer a suggestion to modify the lights to work with my halogen bulbs, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, I might have to re-sell these aftermarket lenses and look for some decent stock ones.

Can someone check them out before or after the club meeting tonight and let me know if they think the combo I have will work together? Thanks!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bulbs are H1 and H4 in the Depo lights. What is the issue?
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

OK...so I no longer have a DEPO light issue! A cruiser owner in Texas offered me $400 for my depo lights and wanted them NOW, so I sent them to him. I guess they are no longer importing this headlight to the US and his only other option was to try to get some through MOT on MUD. This hopefully gives me enough money to get some stock replacements.

So, now I'm on the lookout for either OEM entire assemblies, or even just the housings since my glass is in good condition. It's really only the tabs that are broken.