Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Rock Stacker

Default 4runner and Landcruiser pre-purchase inspection

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, ie. stolen 87 4runner, I'm looking for a new ride. I'm kinda leaning toward am early 90s mostly because of the price. I know the 3.0 is a little weak but I'm OK with that. Is there any common issues with the 3.0 that I should be looking for? How about with an 1990 FJ62? I saw on CL that had the right price.
I would also like to put the word out there if anyone has a runner for sale. My budget is about $2500.
thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

The 3.0 had head gasket problems that Toyota covered for a while. Most were fixed but some never failed so they may be ready to blow anytime or drive forever.

I have an 85 4Runner and love it, would not trade it in but...................I also like the 60/62. It all depends on what you want need and can afford. I personally think the 4runner is more affordable than a 60, I could be wrong.

Start a list with pros and cons then decide. I have seen both for much more and less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Lifted

You may already know this but if not: be prepared for 12-15 MPG
with the FJ62, and stately (i.e., slow) acceleration.

-Phrog

1972 FJ40
1988 FJ62
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty much the same with the 3.slow 4Runner. Mine had all of the power of a strong four cylinder, and all of the mileage of a 454.

Another problem was burnt exhaust valves.

The 3.4 engine swap, however, is most easily done with a truck that has a 3.0 currently - that is always an option, and makes for a wonderful vehicle.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was in the mood for a new project rig last summer and almost bought a 4Runner with the 3.0. Found a cherry 2-door one on Ebay for $ 2,000, and found some other beauties locally for $ 2,000-3,000. I did a lot of research and realized that they require more maintenance (i.e. timing belt, head gasket) than the venerable 2F or 3FE. I went with a 62 and love it.
'00 UZJ100
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks. The FJ needs more work than I'm in the mood for and as much as I tell myself the mileage wouldn't bother me, I know it would. Whatever I get, it will be my daily driver. So, upon further review, it's likely that I will have to shell out some dough for something newer. I saw a 99 runner, 5 speed, with a factory locker that looked like a good starting point.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve948 View Post
Thanks. The FJ needs more work than I'm in the mood for and as much as I tell myself the mileage wouldn't bother me, I know it would. Whatever I get, it will be my daily driver. So, upon further review, it's likely that I will have to shell out some dough for something newer. I saw a 99 runner, 5 speed, with a factory locker that looked like a good starting point.
How much is the budget? I think it's hard to beat the 2nd gen 4Runner on value. For about $4K, give or take, you can find something from 1993, 1994, 1995 in the 100K to 150K mile range and otherwise just a driver, rarely beat up. You start moving into the 3rd gen the prices, 'specially with a factory locker, go up, too. I would expect about $6000 for a 3rd gen with ~150K miles, no locker.

For example, there's a nice looking 1995 on Craigslist right now with 95,000 miles for $4500.
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/999224996.html

Some keys IMVHO to the 2nd gen 4Runner/3rd gen truck.

The 3.0L gets a whole lot of bad vibes from the Internet. Some of it I think is unwarranted. It is true that they had headgasket problems, some years worse than others. Check the VIN and if it was fixed by Toyota, I wouldn't be worried. If not, do a compression check and do your normal checks like with any car. A whole lot of them go 200K+ (Steve Rudy for example) and so a 3.0L isn't an automatic nightmare.

It is also true they are not the most powerful engine and mileage does not justify the 150HP, but the design is 20 years old and for the time it was a step up from the 22R-E in power. Barely, but noticeable power bump, particularly with a 5 speed.

If you can afford a 3rd gen, the 4 corners all have coil springs and the 3.4L is a better engine, no doubt. But I have a soft spot for the 1990-1995 trucks I guess. :-) But seriously, a 1995 with 95K for $4500, that's seems like a good deal. A 1996-1999 with a locker and 100K would be twice that easily.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve948 View Post
I saw a 99 runner, 5 speed, with a factory locker that looked like a good starting point.
That would be a far superior vehicle in all respects. Fine vehicle.

The only weak point is the steering rack which can develop internal play at the inner tie rod ends, but that doesn't occur all THAT often and though a pain, it is not that miserable a job to swap. The inner tie rod ends can also develop play (pretty easy to fix that one if so).

Timing belts on the 3.4 are MUCH easier than the 3.0. No comparison with a 22RE timing chain. No more work than that required to swap the water pump, and only the '96s have had HG failures (and that was an external leak, covered by Toyota).
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Rock Stacker

The budget is in flux. If I pay cash, I'm not getting much, if I can even get a Toyota. So I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a loan. I'm looking for something under 10K, '98 or newer. I don't wheel very hard and don't really expect to-just to get me to the remote fishing or camping spot and have fun along the way.
I have a lot to consider. As the vehicle gets newer, the more intimidated I am with repairs but my 87 was great training. I kept it running well for 130K and I wish it met a more heroic end. The positives of a new ride are many and I have been day dreaming of a new ride.
I guess I don't need a Toyota but I can't really justify getting anything else. Besides, my better half doesn't want to hear my cursing, wishing it was a Toyota.