Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
[warning, shameless hijack]Hey, Kevin, looks like that will be my schedule too. Wanna go together? Like, late Thursday?
We will actually leave early Friday morning but then again maybe we could do a night drive Thurs....I'll talk to Jerry. What time are you thinking of hitting the blacktop?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Those bags look pretty cool. When I attended Cruising the Woods they awarded a special prize to whoever collected the most trash on the poker run. Over course I was there in an 80 loaded to the gills and only room for a regular sized big trash bag. Mr. Twiddy was in front of me and they loaded his mini down. No bags, they just threw all kinds of crap in it. I can't recall what the prize was. I have an extra Garmin Topo Map Software CD brand new in the box. It retails for about $120 but you can find them cheaper http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp. I'll donate it for a special prize for trash collection. Would Friday be the appropriate day to do this? I figure one day collection would probably be the best and since the award would need to happen at the dinner it would make sense to do it Friday. However, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers about creating more work for CM volunteers. I've yet to hear back if I am one this year
Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginericfj80
Those bags look pretty cool. When I attended Cruising the Woods they awarded a special prize to whoever collected the most trash on the poker run. Over course I was there in an 80 loaded to the gills and only room for a regular sized big trash bag. Mr. Twiddy was in front of me and they loaded his mini down. No bags, they just threw all kinds of crap in it. I can't recall what the prize was. I have an extra Garmin Topo Map Software CD brand new in the box. It retails for about $120 but you can find them cheaper http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp. I'll donate it for a special prize for trash collection. Would Friday be the appropriate day to do this? I figure one day collection would probably be the best and since the award would need to happen at the dinner it would make sense to do it Friday. However, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers about creating more work for CM volunteers. I've yet to hear back if I am one this year
I think that's a great idea . Maybe we could anounce it some time thursday night . Plus everybody wins in the end

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
I'll donate it for a special prize for trash collection. Would Friday be the appropriate day to do this? I figure one day collection would probably be the best and since the award would need to happen at the dinner it would make sense to do it Friday.
I think this is fine. However, I think we should do it Thursday, which is the first official day we run trails. Let's pick up all the trash on our first day out! We can award the prize at the slideshow that night, and mention it again on Friday night at the raffle dinner.

One caveat: you should be the judge!

Quote:
I've yet to hear back if I am one this year
One what? A Cruise Moab participant? Dude, you're in. Trail assignments were just made over the weekend. They'll be in the mail soon.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr
I think that's a great idea . Maybe we could anounce it some time thursday night . Plus everybody wins in the end
I think it best be anounced Friday by Trail leaders....that way no one can preload their bag at the campsite. OUTSTANDING IDEA!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-12-2006, 03:18 PM

I think announcing it Friday AM at the driver's meeting makes the most sense. I absolutely hate judging things but I will because this is my hairbrain idea I'll take responsibility. Actually, I'll probably sucker my co-pilot into helping me or being the head judge. I don't want to make more work for any of the Rising Sun members. You guys do enough to make this the greatest TLCA event. I will bring the Topo Map Software. I think that is a pretty good prize. I'd be happy if I won it. Also, really the point of the whole thing is not to have a contest, but help clean up the trails in a place that is dear to all of us. A couple of concerns I can see popping up, what if folks start to lollygag and hold up the group? I don't want it to be a problem for tailgunners or leaders. Hmmm! Wonder if we could solve this by anyone bringing a bag of trash to depot gets a special raffle ticket. I'll have to get with the BLM people. Maybe they would even help and they'd distribute tickets to folks who drop stuff off at their depot Friday? I'll check with them. The intent of this idea is good but I also don't want to create chaos or disruption within the event or campground or at the dinner.

Eric V.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 PM

Well I finally got in touch with Chad at the BLM office in Moab. He said cleaning up on the trail runs is fine. It doesn't sound like how things operate with BLM in Idaho. Here we have to have BLM folks check us out etc... He asked if I wanted to do a project while I was in Moab. I asked him what he had in mind. So he is going to find some projects that he thinks might interest us. He said we didn't have to do any of them, but he would offer. He said the problem with cleaning up the trails is that there isn't much to clean up. He said the actual trails are in the best shape they have ever been after EJS. I didn't know this but the BLM gave EJS participants exclusive rights to run 7 trails. If you weren't registered you weren't allowed to go on that trail that day. He said this cut down on a lot of problems this year. Erosion out at Kane Creek is a problem he said. I told him I agreed that I had seen a lot of off trail traffic in that area in recent years. He echo'd the BLM up here and said, "club and organized events are not the problem, it is unaffiliated people who don't really care about anything but their fun for that moment"

Personally I'd like to volunteer to do a project while I'm down there. Maybe it means I skip a day of trail rides to do it? I don't want to take anything away from what Rising Sun does, because I know you guys work your tails off to provide a great event. I thought you would like an update.