Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Rock Stacker

Default 1999 4Runner lift options

I recently got a 99 Limited and am researching lift options. I've done a bit of searching and there seems to be a good bit of choices but of course, I'm looking for the balance of price and performance. This is my daily driver and don't do any extreme wheeling, Middle St. Vrain is about the toughest I would expect to do.
I'm leaning towards using Tundra springs but am not sure exactly what else is needed to complete such a set up. I figure I can find used springs and source whatever else is needed on the cheap. Does anyone have experience with a Tundra set up?
Also, tires will be the first step, since those are just about shot. Planning on 265/75/16. I can run those until I do the lift. I gotta think in phases.

thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

What do you plan to do with the rear springs?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have never seen anything on tundra springs but some guys used 80 series front springs in the rear of 4Rs.
My son has a '96 Limited. He is on a budget so I got a 3" kit from ToyTec Lifts for around $350.
It uses spacers in front with a diff drop and OME rear coils. In the future I plan to swap the spacers for new coils but for now it is his daily driver and doesn't get off road often.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

I run an OME lift on my 2000 4Runner and believe Yoder does as well. I am also running 265/75R16 tires. Great set-up, unbelievable (well, it is OME, so it's believable) performance and handling for daily driving and offroad.
TLCA#11073
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I think Yoder has the Tundra coils, no? But man I can't believe how cheap those ToyTech lifts are, I shoulda got a 4runner..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have some 80 series springs if you want to go that route. We can work out a price.

Generation Dead
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Rock Stacker

$350 sounds reasonable but why take the easy route. Not to sure what to do with the rear, maybe the 80 springs- what's that, about 2.5"-3" of lift? I think the Tundra springs will give me about 2" up front. What about shocks? I'm thinking stock shocks will limit travel but can I use them with these springs? I'll be putting in new shocks sooner or later. Another thing to consider is any additions such as bumpers. I'm not planning on those, probably just sliders to start burt I am planning on towing a pop up camper in the near future. So I want a decent ride around town but firm enough to tow without a ton of sag. How do I calculate/compensate the stiffness of the set-up? Soft springs with firm shocks or visa-versa?
AxleIke- if things go this route, what's your asking price for the springs?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Up front I run the Tundra coils (which are great), with Toytech spacers and the OME shocks. I should have used the Tokico TREK MASTER R/T shocks because the Ome shocks give me too much droop and put me at risk for breakage, especially after I get a front locker.

The less expensive Toytech lifts use spacers with the stock setup which will simply give you more lift with the stock suspension (no performance increase). Well, the rear OME's are fine. I use the Ome 882's\n91 in the rear with a Land Cruiser OME trim spacer. I have broken several top studs off of my OME N91 shock in the rear. But, I did mange to get them all covered under warranty. The LC front coils for the rear that people use are preferred I believe but you need to get them with the correct # of "winds" in the coil. They come in two flavors evidentially. Then you could run the Bilstein 5125 Series shocks.kel Plated Shocks

There are many setups available and so many opinions. YotaTech has a ton of info and is where I would point you. You could keep it simple go OME all around, nothing wrong with that. Or mix it up with fancy adjustable coil overs and stuff. You do have two good shops at your disposal with Slee and Irbis Off-Road. These guys have done a ton of these lifts and can help you also.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve948 View Post
AxleIke- if things go this route, what's your asking price for the springs?
50 bucks

Generation Dead
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Wincher

Default Tundra coils

One school of thought is do nothing and save $ for Solid Axle Swap .

I tried a set of Tundra coils. They came from a 2000 2wd. They were too stiff for daily driving. If you were going with an aftermarket bumper and winch, regular Tundra coils should work ok for the 4Runner. The ride will be stiffer than factory. Some prefer this. Front Tundra TRD coils whether 2wd or 4x4 make a ride similar to factory on the street and stiffer when wheeling. I don't recall which years had the right springs except that 2000 was one of the years. You will get about the same lift with regular or TRD coil. Aftermarket setups will be an easier install because kits include all the needed parts.

Compressing the spring is a pain and can be dangerous. I used three compression tool rods for each spring instead of one set (2 rods). Takes a little longer but safer.

John
97 reg cab Tacoma v6
Lifted
Tundra front top plate and shocks
KDODCU