Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default utah bar memberships

utah is getting rid of the memberships to the bars. 9news says they're doing it in an effort to be less weird to tourists...pretty sure that's not gonna help too much

didn't catch the date, but hopefully in time for cruise moab.

on the negative side, the dui laws are going to be stiffer
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
utah is getting rid of the memberships to the bars. 9news says they're doing it in an effort to be less weird to tourists...pretty sure that's not gonna help too much

didn't catch the date, but hopefully in time for cruise moab.

on the negative side, the dui laws are going to be stiffer

After hanging in SLC a few times, the laws are not that bad. Just takes some time getting used to.

Like dont go to the republican without a membership, on top of being expected to buy a beer at the bar. No, you have to wait in line for that.....

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

it's not bad at the places that offer free membership, or when the bartender could sponsor you, but when you had to purchase a membership for the few days you were there, it was just stupid.

heck, it makes our former blue law look good and that was a stupid law too.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

actually - most places can choose to serve wine and beer now. Hard alcohol still requires a membership. If you are staying at a hotel/motel, ask them for a temporary ticket/token/sponsorship. They usually have this set up to avoid the tourist problem.

However, it's been two long years since I was last in moab. SLC works this way for sure.

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post

heck, it makes our former blue law look good and that was a stupid law too.
[rant/hijack] I actually didn't mind our former blue law. Wasn't that tough to plan ahead, it isn't that awful to get 3.2 beer if you didn't, and how much drinkin' do you really need to be doing on Sundays anyway? Maybe I'm just a wuss.. but if I owned a liquor store I'd be bummed if I now had to open and staff the store one more day/week just to remain competitive.

Do they sell more now that they're open 7 days/week? My hunch is no, they sell exactly the same it's just spread out over 7 days now instead of 6. If car dealers could sell cars on Sundays would you buy more cars? No, but your car dealers would get to raise operating expenses to be open on Sundays, and guess who that cost would get passed down to? [/rant/hijack]

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
[rant/hijack] I actually didn't mind our former blue law. Wasn't that tough to plan ahead, it isn't that awful to get 3.2 beer if you didn't, and how much drinkin' do you really need to be doing on Sundays anyway? Maybe I'm just a wuss.. but if I owned a liquor store I'd be bummed if I now had to open and staff the store one more day/week just to remain competitive.

Do they sell more now that they're open 7 days/week? My hunch is no, they sell exactly the same it's just spread out over 7 days now instead of 6. If car dealers could sell cars on Sundays would you buy more cars? No, but your car dealers would get to raise operating expenses to be open on Sundays, and guess who that cost would get passed down to? [/rant/hijack]
Well said.

I work with someone who said "opening liquor stores on Sunday will prevent DUIs"

Because "now people can go to the store get their booze and come home to drink instead of going to a bar getting drunk and driving home"
He was very serious ( and perhaps a bit hungover)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

And here I thought Ige was going to be a Utah lawyer. By the thread title.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

for me, it is hard to plan ahead. i live paycheck to paycheck so i buy a minimal amount of beer. if i have a bad saturday, or early sunday morning, i was out the rest of the day. 3.2...fine with me, except the good beers aren't available in 3.2 (at least not in my town). so i do buy more beer.

cars at dealerships...i probably would've been tempted when i was younger to buy more cars at dealerships if they were open sundays...i can't take a day off work to go buy a car.

operating costs are part of the business. heck, i work for a company that's open 24hours a day. i've worked the graveyard shift....it's a complete waste of time. but trucks break down in the middle of the night and lose a lot of money every minute they're down...so that cost is figured in to everything.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

I always thought car dealerships should be closed on Monday and Tuesday (or something like that) and open on Sundays! Although it is kind of nice to be able to run around the car dealers on Sundays and look at cars without being harrassed!!! When I lived in Colorado Springs, a dealer there told me they sold more cars on Monday than any other day of the week, because everyone came to look while they were gone on Sunday and then came in to "deal" on Monday!!!

I still think dealers would sell more cars on Sunday than they do during the week!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Living in a tourist driven economy I think it makes sense to have liquor stores open sundays. I never understood the liquor laws in Utah. I've been going to Moab a couple times a year for 17 years. Think I've been in a couple of bars a couple of times. Don't recall there being any issue, maybe 'cause I just ordered beers. Visited the State liquor store and overpaid for everything. Now I load up in GJ before crossing the boarder. Sit arround the campfire and get drunk before stumbleing into my camper. Off topic but groceries are cheeper in Maob than Vail, so's GAS.