Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Travis. I put two calls into Brant this week and am awaiting his call back.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Land Use Coordinator

I also have Brant's staple gun and a couple signs, if you want to put some up.
I also have two large plywood sign boards with 4x4 posts, just like the big sign at Argentine. It may be a good idea to install one of these up there somewhere.
Let me know if you want me to bring it. But I don't' have any post hole diggers. So if we're going to install one of these large signs, I'll need someone to bring a set of those.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like I'll be able to join in on this. Haven't been up there in quite some time.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Sorry all for the delay. I spoke with our Clear Creek Ranger over the weekend.

Meeting location:
Looks like we won't have too big of a group, so let's plan on meeting at 8:30 at Fall River Rd exit off I70. We will be meeting the rangers on the road above Alice for a briefing at 9:00, but it's easier to drive up as a group to our meeting spot.

The following items will be on the list of to do's:
1. 16 bird houses installed below the tree line - per Travis' post above, there are four complete and 12 that need completion. 9 of the 12 need roofs. If anyone has any spare 1x10 planks laying around we need to fashion 9 more roofs with a rough 10x10 dimension. Ideally we would have the birdhouses completely assembled before heading up to KP, but worst case we can finish putting them together on the trail.
2. General trail clean up/trash pickup
3. High meadows trail signage and rock stacking - we will be installing new carsonite signage at various locations, but primarily we want to steer people into perhaps a "hard" trail and an easy trail. Right now there are probably four or five options. We will steer folks using a combination of carsonite and rocks.

What to bring:
Drills and bits for birdhouses
Wrenches and sockets for the birdhouses
Anything you can think of to drag around rocks
Shovels
Trasharoos
Gloves
Lunch
Water

We will likely split into two groups, one to install birdhouses, and the other to address issues up in the high meadow above the glacier. Its likely only a couple hours work assuming we have enough to split, and we can gather for lunch when we're done. Maybe head over to Yankee Hill and hit some of the trails that direction if folks would like to explore.

Thank you all in advance for your time.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Travis, I'll give you a call when things calm down for me in Cleveland.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Land Use Coordinator

So it looks like I'm not going to be able to spend the day out there with you guys. I'll come by in the morning and drop off all the stuff I have for this, including a Trasharoo to raffle off. But then I'm going to have to jet.
Sorry guys.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

OK. We are all set for Saturday morning. The rangers are meeting us at Fall River Rd. exit at 8:30 as well, and we'll head up together from there after our safety briefing.

Just a friendly reminder to wear closed toe shoes, long pants and sleeves, and bring a pair of work gloves. I think NFS will also have hard hats for us to use while pounding in posts and carsonite.

I'll be heading to Home Depot to get wood for the roofs of the remaining birdhouses tonight, so those will need to be attached in the field.

Thank you all again for your participation and I look forward to seeing you there. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey Scott and all. I will be there Saturday for our first official work day on this trail. It will be really cool to see how this trail develops over time like our other trail workings. I always like new endeavors especially for the Rising Sun club.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smakee View Post
OK. We are all set for Saturday morning. The rangers are meeting us at Fall River Rd. exit at 8:30 as well, and we'll head up together from there after our safety briefing.
I'm assuming the dirt lot that's right there as you exit the freeway?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Rock Stacker

I'll meet everyone at the exit in the morning. I'll have trash bags, and a shovel. Is there anything else that were going to need? I can run to the shop in the morning, and grab any tools we may be missing.