Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm booked on the 10th. If it gets moved to another weekend, I'd love to ride along.

Ben B
1997 LX450 (2016-Pres)
KELBN
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

By my count, it is Steve, Paul, and myself. My brother may join with his 100.

Still plenty of room if others want to go!

Steve, Paul, what is your timing looking like? I can't leave until probably 3. However, if either of you wants to head up sooner, and grab a site, that's awesome, but no worries if you don't.

I had planned to look for a site on the Homestake Res. road. Depending on what people want to do, we've left camp semi-set up so you don't have to carry all your junk with you, but we've also had rigs with trailers too. I'm easy, so whatever folks want to do.

Cheers!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I still need to tighten up my front wheel bearings in order to make this trip . I'm going to try to get this done tomorrow (Thursday) if I get the parts.

Couple of questions:

1. I currently have the RTT on the truck...is this trail RTT friendly or should I take it off?

2. How long is the drive down there to camp? I don't think I even know how to get there.

I wouldn't be able to leave until after 3 either.

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

There are a couple ways to get there. I usually do I70 to the minturn exit. If I remember right, it takes about 20-30 mins from the exit to where you can start to camp, in general. Getting to Vail is the question mark. I'd plan on about 2-2.5 hours to get there. But more if traffic is horrible (Sat Afternoon should be okay I'd think).

If you go I70, you head up Highway 24 from the Minturn exit, and go 12.6 miles. A few miles beyond Redcliffe, you start to climb. The Homestake resevoir road is on your right, and it is right at a lefthanded switch back. Its Road 703. Its another 7 or so miles up to the trail head. About 20 miles total from I70, but we will camp before we get to the trail head probably. Google Maps estimates 40 minutes, but I don't think they account for fast driving on the dirt.

As for the trail, with three or four trucks, it depends. If we are first on the trail, its a little under 3 miles to French Creek, and I'd guess that will take around an hour at a leisurly pace. Getting though the Creek is a toss up, depending on how much people want to play, and how smoothly it goes (no breakage). Then from there to the city is pretty quick. Then, people can play at Cleveland Rock if they desire, or we can eat and head back down. Unless we meet some jerks, you can usually ask to play through at the creek and get back down, since they'll want to get up without you in their way. You then backtrack down a ways, but are required to take an easy dirt road out before you get back to the trail head (the first part of the trail is one way).

Basically, without Cleveland Rock, you could probably be up to the city and back down in 4 or so hours without any breakage or trail plug delays. Maybe a tad longer dependent on people's desires for length of a lunch break. If people just want to eat, and keep on rolling, then faster, but if folks want to rest and enjoy the scenery, then we can take a bit longer.

With problems, could be all day. However, if anyone has time constraints, I'm happy to work around those.

its a lot of fun. Pretty tame trail between fairly difficult obstacles, but not so many that you get tired of it. Just an all around good time. We can talk more about it on Saturday night, but I would encourage a flexible plan. If we can, being up early, quick breakfast, and hit the trail will pay dividends if we beat other groups. We'll plan on eating at the city, but if we get stuck or get stuck behind someone, we'll eat when folks get hungry.

Generation Dead
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think its fine for a RTT, but I'll let that be your call. There are a few off camber sections, but I doubt a Tent is going to cause a problem. I haven't paid too much attention to the trees. There aren't any that are horribly close, but again, I don't know how much the trail has changed. Sorry I can't be more help. I guess, if I had to make a call, Id say, if you don't want anything to touch the tent (branches, leaves, and the like), I'd take it off. I don't believe there is anything that you will hit it on (rocks, tree trunks).

Generation Dead
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Webmaster

Tented trucks can do it but your pucker factor will be increased, of course. My truck will be tentless this time. These three pics are at the creek crossing where, as Isaac mentioned, a slowdown might occur as winching/strapping is quite possible. I also had to pull rope here.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Webmaster

As you can see, even Uncle Ben has to take the rope once in a while, but, to be fair, he and two very built trucks were the only ones to successfully climb Cleveland Rock right above Holy Cross City. Justin, of Red Line Cruisers, shows how it can get a little(!) tippy in spots but the fun is big, as can be seen in the pic of Ige in the rocks and in front of the fire. This run was in 2008 and we had about a dozen, or so, trucks representing the club. If we have only three this trip it will be a shame but some is better than none.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Man that looks like a killer time, I wish I could go this weekend
82 FJ40
Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Man that looks like a killer time, I wish I could go this weekend
C'mon, man!
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks fun but I'll be downhilling Snowmass this weekend have fun!