Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Default Cumbres and Toltec. October 14-17th.

I'm planning on heading down to Chama, Nm in October to Ride and Chase the Cumbres and Toltec. Need to break in the new Runner. Plan to drive down Sat. Ride train Sunday and Chase Monda, from Antonito, Co. Home Tuesday. Most likely camp at our usual spot above Sublett, NM.

Always a fun trip.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  62.3 KB

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 09-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

What a great run, had a blast last year.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey, I might be home at that time. If I am, I will be there. Will let you know for sure later.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

As much as I'd love to ride the C&TS and do this trip, probably best for me to lay low till Outlaws. Need to make sure a few mods happen for that trip. Bummed. But guess we'll make up for it next year...

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 09-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
As much as I'd love to ride the C&TS and do this trip, probably best for me to lay low till Outlaws. Need to make sure a few mods happen for that trip. Bummed. But guess we'll make up for it next year...

Yep. I'm a *bit* too busy this year to make it. (which is saying a lot, I LOVE that area, and the C&TS).

But next year (2018) I'll be all in....

Dan
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Yep. I'm a *bit* too busy this year to make it. (which is saying a lot, I LOVE that area, and the C&TS).

But next year (2018) I'll be all in....

Dan
I tallied up my calendar. Since June 1, this past saturday and sunday were the first days I was not either at work, or at work on my property.

I rode the train (like I do every year) Colors were amazing, and then we realized that on Sunday the RGS Galloping Goose Number 5 was going to run. Then we found out that there were some seats available, so me, my sister, and my parents bought tickets to ride the Goose up to Cumbres Pass and back to Chama.

Very, very cool. It's a totally different experience in a little motorized machine like that, as opposed to being pulled by a hulking behemoth of a steam locomotive.

Here's some pics of the Goose! With only 24 people or so on it, we had a few opportunities to get out, and have it do a run-by for photos...

Looking out the back door leaving Chama. 483 has a new coat of paint.
Name:  IMG_5220.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  88.1 KB

At Cresco.
Name:  IMG_5222.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5237.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5253.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  152.2 KB

The view out the front. I liked riding in the front cab better, because you could hear the engine and transmission work a lot more.

Name:  IMG_5256.jpg
Size:  91.0 KB

And here's a rock at Windy Point. One thing I love about the C&TS is that it is real mountain railroading. This rock came down overnight, and was blocking the tracks. We (the folks on the Goose) used some pry bars and such and were able to rock it a bit (pun intended), but the railroad had a backhoe close enough that they moved it out of the way with that. It delayed us about 45 minutes, but the regular train from Chama didn't even know what had happened--at least the passengers didn't.
Name:  IMG_5263.jpg
Size:  85.2 KB
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Two more pictures.

On more from the cab (just before windy point):
Name:  IMG_5259.jpg
Size:  150.7 KB

...and one of the doubleheader pulling into the water tank at Cumbres Pass.
Name:  IMG_5268.jpg
Size:  127.3 KB

Interesting thing about this move, the road engine (the one connected to the train) will spot under the water spout and fill up the tender. But the train is still stretching down the grade. ...which is a 4% grade (steep for a train), so the helper locomotive has to remain attached to help pull the train forward to crest the pass after filling up with water. The helper locomotive (the one on the front) will then cut off and turn on the wye track before heading back to Chama light.

...anyway.... next year for the next C&TS club run. And for the record, the worlds greatest camping spot is still the worlds greatest spot to set up camp.

Dan
Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nice report. The goose looks like a lot of fun. I completely agree the Toltec is more of a Rail Road experience. The D&SNGRR seems much more like an amusement ride.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just ran the DSNGRR thus last weekend. Hadn't run it since I was a kid. Had a lot of fun with good friends. I've yet to ride the Toltec so can't compare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

My friend runs the motorcar ahead of the trains. Hopefully next time I can work a ride along with him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk