Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default AFI TBI injection in Colorado vs. emission testing

I'm about to install the AFI TBI setup on my FJ40. I live in a non-emission test area, but in the past, they did a visual on the AIR system and EGR. The equipment had to 'be installed and appear to be functional'. I worry that one day, the whole state or all front-range counties will get e-test requirements.

For those of you in the club in Denver, is anyone having their FJ40 smogged with the AFI kit, and if so, did you leave or remove these bits? I don't mind a messy engine compartment full of non-functional bits, if it smooths the e-test path later. Just wondered what others' take on this was.

Thanks - Steve
Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'm about to install the AFI TBI setup on my FJ40. I live in a non-emission test area, but in the past, they did a visual on the AIR system and EGR. The equipment had to 'be installed and appear to be functional'. I worry that one day, the whole state or all front-range counties will get e-test requirements.

For those of you in the club in Denver, is anyone having their FJ40 smogged with the AFI kit, and if so, did you leave or remove these bits? I don't mind a messy engine compartment full of non-functional bits, if it smooths the e-test path later. Just wondered what others' take on this was.

Thanks - Steve
I don't have the AFI kit although I've been wanting to copy one of their chips to look at what their programming looks like compared to my home made tbi setup. I run air injection on it without issue for emissions.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Wincher

If you can register "collector" you don't have to deal w emissions in general I'm pretty sure
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have collector plates, but I was concerned about changes in air quality rules that might bring back statewide emission testing. I could probably fab up a vacuum operated deal that would allow EGR and AIR to work, it occurs to me that they could fool the oxygen sensor in a negative way. If I leave them in place, they should be disabled and only appear functional.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
I don't have the AFI kit although I've been wanting to copy one of their chips to look at what their programming looks like compared to my home made tbi setup. I run air injection on it without issue for emissions.
How do you do that without corrupting the O2 sensor data with the extra post combustion oxygen?
TLCA #23619
Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
How do you do that without corrupting the O2 sensor data with the extra post combustion oxygen?
Off the top of my head I don't have a answer for you. It runs good and blows past the air care colorado emissions test easily though. My program is on my 2f and a 1f with no issues. Im not sure that stupid air injection is blowing enough air to skew the readings much. I hate that stupid pump and have been thinking about ripping it off during the 5 year period for the classic plates and installing it only for the test. I could use the extra room in the engine bay for actually useful stuff.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you are injecting air into the head at the exhaust runners, you must be running way too rich to compensate in the ECU based on bad O2 sensor data (extra O2 added post combustion).

The 3FE also has an air pump, but I believe it has a clutch (or maybe a valve) on it that opens when running closed loop.

SteveH - Is that right about what you have under the hood of your 62??
TLCA #23619
Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Trail Ready

Have you tested a tbi with a smog pump connected vs disconnected?

As far as way too rich I doubt it's that far off. I went from Fruita to Georgetown on one stock 40 tank of gas doing 75mph most the way with a 4 speed, 4.10s, and 35" krawlers-16mpg. I was hammering pretty hard to get home that day. But I would only know exactly how much if I monitored the afr readings b4 and after smog pump disconnected. I am running a wideband so I could do this pretty easy I guess and see how the readings change.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

No but I'll ask my tuner who knows much more than I do. I know when a cylinder isn't firing it totally screws the AFR with a lean condition due to non-combusted O2. If that AIR pump is doing anything, it can't be good WRT the AFR information.

How do the plugs look?
TLCA #23619
Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
No but I'll ask my tuner who knows much more than I do. I know when a cylinder isn't firing it totally screws the AFR with a lean condition due to non-combusted O2. If that AIR pump is doing anything, it can't be good WRT the AFR information.

How do the plugs look?
I don't remember.