Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Default East coast guys in Colorado this September

Well, we finally have our group dialed in and I have the itinerary as finalized as I plan to make it. Weather or any number of other reasons can change plans and we aren't really particularly committed to anything.

I posted a help wanted blurb elsewhere on your club site looking for a place where we could have one or two 80 series trucks dropped off as the owner(s) will be flying into DIA.

Gonna have four vehicles and seven guys. Jeff Strite from Alexandria VA will be driving his expedition equipped Tacoma with Mike Thomas (Stump) as a passenger. Mitch from VA will be driving his 80 series with Steve liff riding passenger. Greg Licht (Crusha) from the Philly area will be in his 80, and I'll have my HDJ81 with Bob Bascom riding shotgun. One other request for info- is there a place in either Gunnison or Crested butte where we could all spend two nights at a reasonable price? That would be an alternative to camping at Almont. Been years since i camped at Almont and I'm not sure if it's still OK.

Here's the latest incarnation of our itinerary:

Day 1 Saturday September 2- Guys from VA heading west on I-70 hopefully spend the night in a reasonably priced motel in the St Louis area. Hotel stay night #1

Day 2 Sunday Sept 3- VA contingent back on I-70 west to the Denver area, hotel stay that night being best after a 800 mile drive in one day. Iím leaning heavily toward staying in Idaho Springs. Weíll see if you VA guys can make it to Idaho Springs Sunday night. Itís a neat town and thereís a tremendous pizza place there, Beaujos. Hotel stay night #2

Day 3 Monday Sept 4 (Labor day)- I-70 west to I-470 past Red Rocks and Bandimere Speedway to route 285. 285 through the Platte Canyon to Webster. Onto the dirt at Webster and onto Red Cone pass- an awesome way to start the offroad experience in Colorado! Then Webster Pass and back out to 285. Over Kenosha Pass into South park, camp somewhere in the South park that night. (alternative route if staying Sunday night in Idaho Springs would be I-70 west into Georgetown, then over Guanella Pass to Webster) Primitive Camp night #1

Day 4 Tuesday Sept 5- Trout Creek Pass- south on 24/285 to Nathrop- onto route 162 past St Elmo to Hancock. Over Hancock Pass, out to Route 50, east to Sergeants, then through White Pine and then over Tomichi pass back into the Pitkin area. Up over Cumberland pass into Taylor Park, night camping at Almont. Campground/tent camping night #1

Day 5 Wednesday Sept 6- Taylor park, then over Taylor Pass to Aschcroft, an old mining town in the area south of Aspen. Then over Pearl pass to Crested Butte. Time permitting we might be able to do Italian pass and/or get to the Star Mill location. Night at Almont campground could eat at CB or Gunnison. Campground/tent camping night #2

Day 6 Thursday Sept 7- Down to route 50, then to Lake City via hard road (149) or the forest service dirt road. From Lake City stay on the hard road to the turnoff for Stony Pass in past Lake San Cristobal. Over Stony Pass into the Animas Forks area, from there lots of options time permitting- Hurricane pass, visit the Sound Democrat mine/mill, etc. A neat side trip from the Stony Pass road is a ride up to the Buffalo Boy mine and tramline head. Night at Silverton either camping or hotel. Thereís a place in Silverton sleeps maybe eight itís above the Outdoor World store. Lotsa good places for chow in Silverton. Apartment stay night #1

Day 7 Friday Sept 8- From Silverton up over Engineer Pass to Lake City, then back to the Silverton area via Cinnamon Pass. Possible side trip to Poughkeepsie Gulch for some wheeling for those who want/need that! Other possibilities time permitting would be trips to either Maggie or Minnie Gulch or both. Night in Silverton. Apartment stay night #2

Day 8 Saturday Sept 9- free day, night in Silverton Apartment stay night #3

Day 9 Sunday Sept 10- Leave Silverton north on 550 (million dollar highway) to Red Mt Pass- then off to Black Bear- over Black Bear down into Telluride-through Telluride then over Imogene Pass to Ouray. Time permitting there are several basins to explore off the Imogene pass road. Night in Ouray, either hotel or campground. Campground/tent camping night #2

Day 10 Monday Sept 11- Ouray to Ridgeway- Dallas Divide down to Placerville- past Telluride and explore the Alta area- then to Ophir- over Ophir Pass to route 550- north 550 (downhill!) to the turnoff for Corkscrew Pass- over Corkscrew then over Hurricane to the Lake Como area- Poughkeepsie Gulch downhill then out to 550 and into Ouray for the night. Campground/tent camping night #3

Day 11 Tuesday Sept 12- North 0n 550 to Montrose- Delta-Hotchkiss- and over McClure Pass to Marble-into Crystal and the most photographed old mill in CO- then side trip into Lead King Basin, then up Schofield pass into the Crested Butte area. From there down to Almont, up through Taylor Park and over Tincup Pass to Buena Vista. Night in Buena Vista. Hotel stay night #3

Day 12 Wednesday Sept 13- 285 north to Denver then I-70 east toward home.

Day 13 Thursday Sept 14- I-70 east for the VA guys

Day 14 Friday Sept 15 if necessary- final leg of trip home

Depending on the attitudes of the group and who might want another day of trails we could use day 11 and pick up several awesome trails in the Leadville/Minturn/Breckenridge area. That would put us somewhere in the metro Denver area for the night, then blast home the next two days.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmukster View Post
Well, we finally have our group dialed in and I have the itinerary as finalized as I plan to make it. Weather or any number of other reasons can change plans and we aren't really particularly committed to anything.

I posted a help wanted blurb elsewhere on your club site looking for a place where we could have one or two 80 series trucks dropped off as the owner(s) will be flying into DIA.

Gonna have four vehicles and seven guys. Jeff Strite from Alexandria VA will be driving his expedition equipped Tacoma with Mike Thomas (Stump) as a passenger. Mitch from VA will be driving his 80 series with Steve liff riding passenger. Greg Licht (Crusha) from the Philly area will be in his 80, and I'll have my HDJ81 with Bob Bascom riding shotgun. One other request for info- is there a place in either Gunnison or Crested butte where we could all spend two nights at a reasonable price? That would be an alternative to camping at Almont. Been years since i camped at Almont and I'm not sure if it's still OK.

Here's the latest incarnation of our itinerary:

Day 1 Saturday September 2- Guys from VA heading west on I-70 hopefully spend the night in a reasonably priced motel in the St Louis area. Hotel stay night #1

Day 2 Sunday Sept 3- VA contingent back on I-70 west to the Denver area, hotel stay that night being best after a 800 mile drive in one day. Iím leaning heavily toward staying in Idaho Springs. Weíll see if you VA guys can make it to Idaho Springs Sunday night. Itís a neat town and thereís a tremendous pizza place there, Beaujos. Hotel stay night #2

Day 3 Monday Sept 4 (Labor day)- I-70 west to I-470 past Red Rocks and Bandimere Speedway to route 285. 285 through the Platte Canyon to Webster. Onto the dirt at Webster and onto Red Cone pass- an awesome way to start the offroad experience in Colorado! Then Webster Pass and back out to 285. Over Kenosha Pass into South park, camp somewhere in the South park that night. (alternative route if staying Sunday night in Idaho Springs would be I-70 west into Georgetown, then over Guanella Pass to Webster) Primitive Camp night #1

Day 4 Tuesday Sept 5- Trout Creek Pass- south on 24/285 to Nathrop- onto route 162 past St Elmo to Hancock. Over Hancock Pass, out to Route 50, east to Sergeants, then through White Pine and then over Tomichi pass back into the Pitkin area. Up over Cumberland pass into Taylor Park, night camping at Almont. Campground/tent camping night #1

Day 5 Wednesday Sept 6- Taylor park, then over Taylor Pass to Aschcroft, an old mining town in the area south of Aspen. Then over Pearl pass to Crested Butte. Time permitting we might be able to do Italian pass and/or get to the Star Mill location. Night at Almont campground could eat at CB or Gunnison. Campground/tent camping night #2

Day 6 Thursday Sept 7- Down to route 50, then to Lake City via hard road (149) or the forest service dirt road. From Lake City stay on the hard road to the turnoff for Stony Pass in past Lake San Cristobal. Over Stony Pass into the Animas Forks area, from there lots of options time permitting- Hurricane pass, visit the Sound Democrat mine/mill, etc. A neat side trip from the Stony Pass road is a ride up to the Buffalo Boy mine and tramline head. Night at Silverton either camping or hotel. Thereís a place in Silverton sleeps maybe eight itís above the Outdoor World store. Lotsa good places for chow in Silverton. Apartment stay night #1

Day 7 Friday Sept 8- From Silverton up over Engineer Pass to Lake City, then back to the Silverton area via Cinnamon Pass. Possible side trip to Poughkeepsie Gulch for some wheeling for those who want/need that! Other possibilities time permitting would be trips to either Maggie or Minnie Gulch or both. Night in Silverton. Apartment stay night #2

Day 8 Saturday Sept 9- free day, night in Silverton Apartment stay night #3

Day 9 Sunday Sept 10- Leave Silverton north on 550 (million dollar highway) to Red Mt Pass- then off to Black Bear- over Black Bear down into Telluride-through Telluride then over Imogene Pass to Ouray. Time permitting there are several basins to explore off the Imogene pass road. Night in Ouray, either hotel or campground. Campground/tent camping night #2

Day 10 Monday Sept 11- Ouray to Ridgeway- Dallas Divide down to Placerville- past Telluride and explore the Alta area- then to Ophir- over Ophir Pass to route 550- north 550 (downhill!) to the turnoff for Corkscrew Pass- over Corkscrew then over Hurricane to the Lake Como area- Poughkeepsie Gulch downhill then out to 550 and into Ouray for the night. Campground/tent camping night #3

Day 11 Tuesday Sept 12- North 0n 550 to Montrose- Delta-Hotchkiss- and over McClure Pass to Marble-into Crystal and the most photographed old mill in CO- then side trip into Lead King Basin, then up Schofield pass into the Crested Butte area. From there down to Almont, up through Taylor Park and over Tincup Pass to Buena Vista. Night in Buena Vista. Hotel stay night #3

Day 12 Wednesday Sept 13- 285 north to Denver then I-70 east toward home.

Day 13 Thursday Sept 14- I-70 east for the VA guys

Day 14 Friday Sept 15 if necessary- final leg of trip home

Depending on the attitudes of the group and who might want another day of trails we could use day 11 and pick up several awesome trails in the Leadville/Minturn/Breckenridge area. That would put us somewhere in the metro Denver area for the night, then blast home the next two days.
Cool trip Gary. If you guys are in the Boulder area, would love to meet up and have dinner at the very minimum. Have a shop if you guys need access as well if you break junk (knowing Greg, you will )

Also, happy to take receipt of your trucks here in Boulder.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

all the way out here and you're gonna miss out on cruiserfest in slc???!!
ige tlca #1431
62 fj40
65 fj45
71 fj55
78 fj55
95 fzj80
96 fzj80
Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Old Town Inn is about the cheapest in Crested Butte and is generally my "go to". Regarding storage of the 80's... I may have a trade to offer you. I'm sending a PM now
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Shmukster I hope I get a chance to link up. Enjoyed hanging with you in Moab in 2016
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 07-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Special welcome to the VA contingent! We lived in Alexandria from 01-07 and were in the Capitol Cruiser Club, fantastic group of people. You'll love your trip to Colorado.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 AM
Rock Stacker

Default VA guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerzz View Post
Special welcome to the VA contingent! We lived in Alexandria from 01-07 and were in the Capitol Cruiser Club, fantastic group of people. You'll love your trip to Colorado.
There will be five guys from the Capital City land Cruiser club on this trip, and Tracy Barker formerly from the DC area will be joining us. Two guys from PA round out the group. Our two clubs regularly wheel and socialize together, they are certainly a great bunch from the DC area. Only a month away from the trip!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Wincher

Gary:
Since there are a few of your parts on my 55, I'll try to carve out some time to meet up with your contingent somewhere along the way. I'll PM you when I can figure out my schedule and maybe Bonnie and I can tag along for a day or two if that's okay. We thought we'd done most of the trails in the San Juans but were introduced to a few new ones during the Pig Party.
Glad you're finally making it back out to Colorado. I know that's been a plan for a while.
Jim
Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Co

Jim- you'd certainly be welcome to join us for a day or two. Keep me posted. I plan to do a daily update on the Mud club sites for keystone Cruisers and the Capital City Land Cruisers
Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Recap

Well we had a great trip through Colorado. Ended up with three trucks and five guys for the majority of the trip. Tracy Barker from Colorado Springs joined us for the last night of camping and led some of the group over Mosquito Pass on our way back out to civilization. The weather was awesome and we didn't really see too much of the typical afternoon thunderstorms. Here's a recap of the trip:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/col...-blog.1008403/