Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I'm still trying to understand the math behind the 80 series front shaft. Apparently it has offsets in two planes, not just one like most explanations. The stock arrangement has the ujoints clocked at 90 degrees to each other rather than inline. Putting a double cardan joint in an 80 and rotating the diff would only address one of the offsets.
I didn't know that about 80's, but I'm guessing they had to push the front diff out towards the passenger wheel to clear the oil pan or something similar in order to work properly.

Being offset in 2 planes means a ujoint system is the correct shaft to use on those fronts: As long as the up/down angles are equal and opposite, and the right/left angles are equal and opposite, you will conserve angular momentum and have no vibrations.

A double cardan (which is a CV joint) will not work, as you say, because it only fixes the offset issue in the Z axis (up down), but if there is still an offset right to left, the CV jointed shaft will still have vibrations even if the pinion angle is set to near zero, since the diff side ujoint will be at an angle right to left.

My guess is, the issue is that when you put a large lift on an 80, the radius arms cause the pinion to rotate up, which is good for clearance, but makes the angles between the tcase and pinion in the up/down direction different, and vibes occur. This could be fixed by doing a cut and turn on the knuckles, but the diff would have to be rotated DOWN to fix the issue, which would be bad for clearance, and thus I assume why most guys just defeat full time 4wd and put on manual hubs.

As far as the yokes being 90 deg out of phase, I cannot answer that. As I said before, I have very limited knowledge on the subject. Hopefully someone here will chime in and explain that one.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1LL31 View Post
I had to replace the front driveshaft cv joint on a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005?)for a friend. She took it to a shop and the shop told her it was her transfer case that was bad and making popping noises. They quoted her an absurd amount of money to fix it. She called me and asked if I could look at it. Turns out it was just the cv. Here is the part I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-932-301.../dp/B00450B3P2
EXACTLY the same set up I put on a co-workers grand cherokee, and the idiots at the shop said EXACTLY the same thing: Tcase is blown. DERP>

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
True, usually I am going 85 MPH with 7 men inside!
And isn't it 7 "husky" men Jeff?

Not sure what qualified as husky in 1960's Japan...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
As in planets, solar systems, etc...?
Yes, as in calculating how to get around in space
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
And isn't it 7 "husky" men Jeff?

Not sure what qualified as husky in 1960's Japan...
You're right TJ, I forgot about that adjective LOL! Love those old B/W TV commercials. I have copies on that disk that SOR put out right around when they were rolling out the FJC in '06.

But I have actually done 85 in both my 40s - it's a little loud LOL!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

How do we know which places on the transfer, and differential cases, are parallel with their outputs?

If I place my angle finder like this, on the differential, I measure 6 degrees.

...and if I place it like this, 3 degrees.

There isn't anywhere that I can place the finder on the transfer case where it really sits flush. This is the best I could get it to sit. It says 2 degrees.

On this part of the transmission, the finder reads 7 degrees.

...but place the finder a little further forward on the transmission and it now reads, 4 degrees.

...place it on this rib, now I have about 3.5 degrees.

There is a spot that is magnetic so the finder sticks. 4 degrees there.

Here up on the bell housing we see 2 degrees again.

...but if you put it on the bell housing here, you would probably be way off because it's like -4 degrees.

It's impossible to be precise unless we actually measure the angle of the transfer case output shaft and pinion shaft or if we know what is parallel to them so we could measure that.

When I put 63 springs on the back, I couldn't figure this out, so I bought 3 sets of steel Rubicon Express shims, 3, 4.5, and 6 degrees to see which produced best results. Rotating the pinion 6 degrees toward the ground worked best. Rubicon Express' shims are very nice, I got stainless Allen bolts for the spring pins and bolted it through the the shims onto the spring pack. Now I'm fine tuning my leaf spring setup again and it would be very helpful to actually know what the pinion angle is.
TLCA#22551
Old 05-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ken- Did that help?

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" HFS Lift Resto Thread - (Mid - Resto)

email: akfarmerslb at gmail.com
Old 05-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Fist put your angle finder on the pinion flange. Note the angle and now add 90* and see where is the best surface. Usually the ribs are parallel. It only take a small casting bump to throw your plane off a few degrees!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Fist put your angle finder on the pinion flange. Note the angle and now add 90* and see where is the best surface. Usually the ribs are parallel. It only take a small casting bump to throw your plane off a few degrees!
Hey, I just had that epiphany after posting. Thanks. Now I have to R&I the shaft on my lunch to figure this mystery out for once and all. I guess I could find a rib that matches so I know which one to use in the future if need be without taking out the driveshaft.
TLCA#22551
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Truth! The flanges are the only place I would trust for this measurement. There's no reason Toyota would cast features in housings square to anything.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus