Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I am done with the DHP. I know they are NLA, but I am becoming more and more disappointed with their inability to hold a charge. I can put the battery on a charger for 2 days, then fire up the fridge for one night, and I've got a low battery the next morning. And this is in the winter too, not even a hot garage. They seemed cool when new, but I think it's been 3 years now, guess it's time for something else. Looks like there is a Batteries Plus in Lafayette, going to check that out at lunch tomorrow.
I have a pro deal at batteries plus, I'll pass along the discount to anyone in the club that wants to buy there. It isn't much but will save you roughly 10%.

Best
Abe
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Running a pair of Odyssey PC1400 here.
Attached Images

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Any opinions on the Duracell Ultra? Looks like $100 less than those X2's, and 1 year less warranty https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...cca/sli78dtagm

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Commander

I went with interstate AGMs for the 200. Great warranty, and national coverage.

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 03-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Any opinions on the Duracell Ultra? Looks like $100 less than those X2's, and 1 year less warranty https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...cca/sli78dtagm
The Duracell Ultra is a rebadged East Penn/Deka (traditional lead-calcium thick plate). The X2 are I believe rebadged Northstar AGM. If the X2 is made like other Northstar batteries and are pure lead thin plate (same as Odyssey uses) then my feeling is it's probably going to be a better battery on paper. However to me warranty and reputation probably weigh as heavily as price and construction in evaluating relative value.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Listen you guys, I have had excellent results recovering both lead acid and AGM batteries. I would be happy to run any you have from RS. 8 out of 10 batteries don't need replaced, they usually need properly drained and recharged. I know one might be sceptical, but I would have had to replace my own Odyssey a year ago if I hadn't rejuvenated it. It can take a few days to drain it completely, but if you bring me a battery I will run it. If you already replaced your battery, what is there to lose running an old one?
TLCA#22551
Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Odyssey tells you how to recondition your batteries.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume..._Procedure.pdf

This is essentially what I do annually after year 3 to my batteries, including the Optima Red Tops I used to own. This is partially why they last so long (my previous Red Top was 7 years old when it started to fail).

But realize that Odyssey testing does suggest that going below 50% depth of discharge on AGM can significantly reduce the battery's lifespan (you are doing a full 100% discharge going to 10.0V, Odyssey considers 10.04V open circuit as fully discharged). In their technical literature they did 80% depth of discharges with a rapid recharge and got 400 full cycles from their batteries before capacity began to drop quickly. Now that doesn't mean you get 400 discharges, just 400 full discharges. So if you only do 50% each time then can expect to see ~800 cycles, 25% depth then ~1600 cycles, etc. In any case you shouldn't do this too often and it's critical you don't starve the battery during the bulk step of the charging. I have a IOTA DLS-45/IQ4 that I use for this, which is 40% up to a 112 A-hr battery (I got for use on that 92 A-hr group 27).

What usually ruins batteries is leaving them below 100% charged for extended periods, which is the case usually with vehicle charging. So the single best way to keep your batteries in good shape is to periodically charge them with a good shore charger and let it float as often as you can. I personally plug my truck into a Minn Kota MK-106D once a week to let a full 24 hour cycle run.

FYI, I also run a Power Pulse desulfator whenever a battery is on a charger.

Name:  IMG_1207_mid.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  68.9 KB

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 03-06-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Really? My rejuvenator won't run if I don't drain the battery. And simply charging them rarely works for me.

I'm convinced most people's alternator is inadequate. And Optima's reputation only sucks cause people don't recharge them right or cook them charging incorrectly.
TLCA#22551
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Our alternators aren't inadequate as such, it's the regulation and it's more of not being ideal but a compromise.

A decent charger will run 3-stages based on both voltage and current that are matched to battery type (flooded or AGM) and capacity. But most vehicles are doing one or maybe two steps and it's usually just about being safe (e.g. not overcharging during long highway trips) for the most common or OE type, which is a flooded or low maintenance type. Our trucks are returning a little short of 100% each time which accumulates over time and it dies early. AGM should be charged at a slightly higher voltage, too, so it's a little more likely that you will get less than expected life from them compared to the original battery Toyota put in.

Not to mention that the current an alternator produces is RPM-dependent, so that's an additional variable that you remove by using a shore charger.

I don't know what your rejuvenator is doing, so you'd have to explain what it does. I just follow the Odyssey recommendations, which are just standard best practices that you'd find in most any industry tech manual or textbook.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't know what it does either. I follows the directions and quit buying batteries.
TLCA#22551