Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 AM
TheHoneyBadger's Avatar
TheHoneyBadger TheHoneyBadger is offline
Land Use Coordinator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pine
Posts: 1,373
Default Argentine Cleanup/Work Day 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
Should i plan on bringing my chainsaw? And if so is anyone familiar with tuning a small engine? I have a Stihl 660 with a 24 inch bar (my hotrod!). The last time I had this running was in Ohio at 850' amsl back in 2011. I may throw it up on the bench this week and make sure nothing is gummed up (I did drain the fuel before storing) but when it comes to adjusting for air mass I am lacking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk


There is a good chance that we will have forest service personnel with us. So no chain saws. In order to legally use those on national forest land, you have to be certified through their training program. I don't think any of us are...
So we'll have to stick to hand saws and axes. As if those are any safer. LoL
__________________
Travis R.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM
bh4rnnr's Avatar
bh4rnnr bh4rnnr is offline
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 4,772
Default

I need to get back up there. Haven't been since '14

__________________
-Perry Loughridge aka "Skelator" aka KDLDQ
4th gen Coloradoan.
-87 Toyota 4runner. Flat bed by Proffitts Cruisers 5.29 gears, rear locker. 33" mt/r tires. Snackster cooker. Eazi-Awn 1200 RTT and more tube work by the Homegrown Crew . And still more to come


COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:02 PM
On the RX's Avatar
On the RX On the RX is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Superior
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoneyBadger View Post
There is a good chance that we will have forest service personnel with us. So no chain saws. In order to legally use those on national forest land, you have to be certified through their training program. I don't think any of us are...
So we'll have to stick to hand saws and axes. As if those are any safer. LoL
That is info i was unaware of. I knew you had to have a spark arrester but didn't know about a cert. I will have my hand saw and axe ready to go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2017, 03:54 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is online now
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
That is info i was unaware of. I knew you had to have a spark arrester but didn't know about a cert. I will have my hand saw and axe ready to go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They probably will not want any cutting even with hand saws, just guessing. We are covered by their insurance on these work days and they don't want the liability. Obviously up in the forest on our own time it's a different story. By now I highly doubt it will be needed, but could be wrong.

Oh and as far as tuning goes, I'm not an expert but best to tune in the wood! Adjust the high screw until it four strokes with no load (screw it in too lean and it will scream). When under load in the cut it needs to clear up, if not it's too rich. Adjust low screw so it snaps off idle, and alternate that with the idle screw so the chain doesn't spin at idle.
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, no more Sanden OBA (factory emissions), so Puma OBA
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 PM
LARGEONE's Avatar
LARGEONE LARGEONE is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 1,399
Default

I was up there today on the main road all the way to the pass past the mine. The main road was pretty clean...didn't see any trash or anything. We didn't go down any of the off chute roads. The main sign needs updating and it seems like some of the other trail signs were missing.
__________________
_______________________________
Paul
KE0OLZ

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM
On the RX's Avatar
On the RX On the RX is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Superior
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
They probably will not want any cutting even with hand saws, just guessing. We are covered by their insurance on these work days and they don't want the liability. Obviously up in the forest on our own time it's a different story. By now I highly doubt it will be needed, but could be wrong.

Oh and as far as tuning goes, I'm not an expert but best to tune in the wood! Adjust the high screw until it four strokes with no load (screw it in too lean and it will scream). When under load in the cut it needs to clear up, if not it's too rich. Adjust low screw so it snaps off idle, and alternate that with the idle screw so the chain doesn't spin at idle.
Insurance! Another good point i didn't consider... I will throw the stuff in anyway just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM
On the RX's Avatar
On the RX On the RX is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Superior
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I was up there today on the main road all the way to the pass past the mine. The main road was pretty clean...didn't see any trash or anything. We didn't go down any of the off chute roads. The main sign needs updating and it seems like some of the other trail signs were missing.
What is the terrain like? I ask because if I am flexed out my drive shaft likes to play with my tank skid. I'm waiting for Steve Sonoran to return from vaca to send out extended bump stops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 PM
TheHoneyBadger's Avatar
TheHoneyBadger TheHoneyBadger is offline
Land Use Coordinator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pine
Posts: 1,373
Default Argentine Cleanup/Work Day 2017

Oops. Double post.
__________________
Travis R.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.

Last edited by TheHoneyBadger; 07-30-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-29-2017, 04:47 PM
TheHoneyBadger's Avatar
TheHoneyBadger TheHoneyBadger is offline
Land Use Coordinator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pine
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
What is the terrain like? I ask because if I am flexed out my drive shaft likes to play with my tank skid. I'm waiting for Steve Sonoran to return from vaca to send out extended bump stops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk


The terrain is easy. We won't be doing any rock crawling. Just bumpy roads.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Travis R.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-29-2017, 06:18 PM
LARGEONE's Avatar
LARGEONE LARGEONE is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 1,399
Default

The road is rocky. The first 100 yards will tell you the difficulty. A stock 4 runner or taco for example would not have problems.
__________________
_______________________________
Paul
KE0OLZ

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.