Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Trip notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Gary:

I don't know what my schedule will be in September, but if you guys need a place to camp in the Idaho Springs area let me know. At the least, I can show you a few of the watering holes in town (there are two excellent breweries).

Sounds like a fun trip! Are you going to stop by the new Caboose Hobbies, or are you sparing the rest of the group from that?

Dan
Dan- thanks for the offer. I like Beaujos in Idaho Springs but of course would always be open to find a new place.

I'm actually considering driving out a day or two ahead of the others to avoid having to make two 800 mile travel days in a row. If that happens I might just get to Denver in time to catch some of the Narrow Gauge modeler's convention. If so I will definitely hit the new Caboose Hobbies store.

Funny you should ask- last year on my last day in CO I drove down to Caboose on Broadway to see what was happening. For some reason I got turned around and turned onto Broadway going the wrong direction when I left the store! Got a lot of horns blowing at me till I could turn into a small lot and get back into the correct traffic flow! I could just imagine getting into an accident with my rental car!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Engineer Pass condition

One o my old wheeling friends from Illinois told me that the portion of the Engineer pass road between the Poughkeepsie Gulch area and down to route 550 has become pretty rough. He said last year when renting a jeep in Silverton that the rental place cautioned renters to avoid that area. I don't remember it being too bad ever but then again I haven't been over it in maybe ten years. Anybody have any info on this?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDGIII View Post
On your day 3, after Red Cone. You can go up radical hill, St. johns, or deer creek. They all connect. From there you can go down middle or north fork of the swan. Middle fork of the swan will take you to Georgia Pass. Georgia Pass will take you back to 285 at jefferson on the south park side of kenosha. You wouldnt have to go back to 285 to go find somewhere to camp in the south park area. Middle and north fork have lots of great camp sites. The top of radical hill usually has mountain goats. North fork goes by wise mountain cabin. Which is free to use. All of these road cross tundra above tree line and have great views. Lots of cool mining equipment and sites in the area. Following middle or north fork all the way out will take you out on tiger road north of Breckenridge.
Throwing this out for clarification. I have seen several posts on the forum regarding the drainage system of Swan River that have misnamed the various forks. What is being described in the above post as the Middle Fork of Swan River is actually the South Fork and the Middle Fork is what is being called the North Fork. The real North Fork goes through the abandoned town of Rexford and dead ends at a mine at the base of a cliff below Glacier Mtn. There is no access to the top of the Continental Divide from the Swan River North Fork. My information comes from various topo maps and experience gained having lived/biked/wheeled in Summit Co. for a long time back in the 70s and 80s. All three forks do have great camping spots as described. In 2005 my wife and I hosted about 20 FJ62s from around the country and were able to find a campsite that accommodated all these vehicles in one common area on the Middle Fork. A beautiful part of Colorado.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
In 2005 my wife and I hosted about 20 FJ62s from around the country and were able to find a campsite that accommodated all these vehicles in one common area on the Middle Fork.
Indeed

Name:  Camp_mid.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  60.5 KB

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 05-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Webmaster

Damn, Dave, you could have photoshopped the heep out of the pic, couldn't you?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

LOL. There are 10 x FJ62s, 1 x Tundra, 2 x mini trucks, 2 x FJ60s and one x Heep in there. I forget why the Jeep was there but surely had to be a reason.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
LOL. There are 10 x FJ62s, 1 x Tundra, 2 x mini trucks, 2 x FJ60s and one x Heep in there. I forget why the Jeep was there but surely had to be a reason.
One of the attendees flew into Denver from PA and the only rental he could find at the time that was 4x4 was the heep. John took a lot of heat for that but we let him come along anyway.
As for the trail naming, if anyone has maps that show the various forks of the Swan named differently than I have described them, I'd like to see those. The maps I rely on are Trails Illustrated versions that are photo reproductions of USGS topo maps, the Colorado Gazetteer and USGS quad maps from the 1950s.