Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Wincher

Default 2017 40s Only Run!

I know its a long ways out, but I have to have my schedule for the year in in the next couple of weeks. I had a blast last year and want to join in again this year! How does Sept 9-10 sound? Its after Labor Day, and not too late.

1970 FJ40
2010 Nissan Xterra Offroad
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Wincher

Hey Kyle, I thought Bill Moore Lake was a fun run also (2016)! You thinking same run or something else?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Wincher

I figured Rising Sun would want to change it up there year. I know they try and do different trails...so offer some suggestions.

1970 FJ40
Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a few thoughts from last years run...

1. Everybody needs a CB minimum. Trail communication was poor (I own it) last year but having a bunch of 40's without anyway to contact them was frustrating. HAM would be preferred but EVERY rig should have a radio in it.

2. People need to make sure their cruisers are in good working order before coming to the trail. We had a LOT of issues that could have/should have been resolved in the driveway verses on the first few hill climbs. I think we lost 5 of the rigs on the 40's only last year due to mechanical issues.

3. We could use a few more veterans on the trail to help, spot, encourage, keep the group moving, kick in the pants etc.

I love the 40's only run, but it shouldn't be the first time you've had the 40 out on a trail for the season... just a thought. I would look forward to leading it again, but I would want everyone who jumps in to agree to the above. We could pick a milder trail but Bill Moore Lake isn't anything even a stock 40 should have issue with. It doesn't get a lot easier unless we take a simple forest road that any Subaru can tackle.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Trail Ready

I think some cruisers don't get driven until they bring it on the trail, which leads to lots of issues. If a rig isn't driven much then little opportunity is given to find issues and fix them before you get on a trail in the middle of nowhere. That's why I drive my cruiser almost every day. I would much rather discover issues driving around town where parts stores are close by, well that and I enjoy driving it. What about Chinamans near Buena Vista? It's a decent trail. If it's too easy what's the point? Hackett gulch might be cool too.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Wincher

I drive mine every few days, especially as spring and summer roll around. I'm guilty of not having a ham or CB. I'll work on that. We still have time to plan out trails...I agree, I don't mind tough trails, but don't want to tear anything up either!

1970 FJ40
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Gentle request to planners - PLEASE schedule it on a Sunday? I work every Saturday and wasn't able to participate in hardly any runs last year because they were all on Saturdays, except the Father's day run, which I planned and led. Thanks!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Webmaster

Gentle request to Rising Sun secretary - please post minutes of the monthly meeting sometime sooner than the day of the following month's meeting. Let those folks that may be interested but couldn't make the meeting know what it was they missed in a timely fashion. I see our temp secretary was able to do just such a thing. Thanks Matt!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Gentle request to planners - PLEASE schedule it on a Sunday? I work every Saturday and wasn't able to participate in hardly any runs last year because they were all on Saturdays, except the Father's day run, which I planned and led. Thanks!
just not when the Broncos are playing
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
just not when the Broncos are playing
Yeah that too. I do remember returning from a Rising Sun run in the early 2000s when Brian Griese was QB when we beat the Jokeland Faiders in a comeback listening to KOA on the radio when Griese heroically won the game for us with a separated shoulder.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/