Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I remember in 69 we put a man on the moon.

97 LX450
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

With a radio and a baselined vehicle.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Webmaster

Good to see you active on the forum, Deano!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Wincher

your sounding a little cocky there "rezarf" about the trail readiness of others' rigs. seams to me I remember you showing up with the worst set of baldass tires I've ever seen on a trail.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjc man View Post
your sounding a little cocky there "rezarf" about the trail readiness of others' rigs. seams to me I remember you showing up with the worst set of baldass tires I've ever seen on a trail.

Please keep it civilized. Drew always owns his own $#!+ and he is only reiterating what is established club etiquette, and in the case of trail readiness, rules. He's not pointing fingers at any individual. Cheers man!

On another note, pictures from the 40's Only are always some of my favorites. So iconic! Almost makes me want one. It's cool to see so many out doing what they were designed to do.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Please keep it civilized. Drew always owns his own $#!+ and he is only reiterating what is established club etiquette, and in the case of trail readiness, rules. He's not pointing fingers at any individual. Cheers man!

On another note, pictures from the 40's Only are always some of my favorites. So iconic! Almost makes me want one. It's cool to see so many out doing what they were designed to do.
Ageed, last year I was the gunner. We had 5 vehicles that couldn't make it all the way and I spent a lot of time in the back helping. By the time the back end got to the lake, the rest were done with lunch and ready to roll.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Ageed, last year I was the gunner. We had 5 vehicles that couldn't make it all the way and I spent a lot of time in the back helping. By the time the back end got to the lake, the rest were done with lunch and ready to roll.
I'm seriously thinking of taking my rusted, dented 40 back to Moab this year. Yeah, the 60 has power steering and A/C, and is quiet to where I can actually talk on the phone while on the highway, but I can beat the crap outta that 40 on the rocks and not care LOL. Oh and BTW, she runs and drive GREAT!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjc man View Post
Sorry boss, not me. I have had a nice set of MT tires on my rig in some form or another since I have owned it... even a set of Thornbirds!

Not sure who you've got me confused with but it ain't me.

Now, I do think you are talking about Keith and his racing slicks this last trip... and he ran it without issues. He even went out and bought some new BFG's after the run IIRC. But heck, I forgot my HAM charging cable that day and only had my CB but Keith bailed me out with a spare HAM so I could keep up with the others. That is 100% on me.

Either way, I am not trying to bust anyone balls, I am just stating that this is a popular run, and I don't like to limit the size since it is sooooo cool to see that many 40's on any trail. However, as the trail leader last year and with a great experienced wheeler like Romer as gunner, we couldn't get the 15-ish 40s to the Lake without a good deal of issues that certainly could have been avoided by one of two things... 1) A mechanically sound maintained FJ40 and 2) A CB radio as part of the group took a wrong turn when the group inevitably got split up. (Or even follow the rule of keep the guy behind you in sight).

I have had my 40 break down once on a trail in Moab, and that certainly happens, I have had it break down several times around town too (I daily drove mine for 15 years). However, all I am saying is folks should get out there, enjoy their 40 throughout the summer, know the gremlins and get after them. Then it is more likely to see something surface either on a lazy weekend wheeling trip with a buddy or two or around town. We can and should expect taking a group of 35-50 year old rigs out can bring unknown issues to the surface, and that is certainly part of any run. However, I think there is a certain amount of respect and etiquette concerning others time to not knowingly bring a rig to ANY trail for a group run and hope others can help you out or wait around for a fix of something someone knew might go wrong.

It's not a BIG deal, just a courtesy and overall a part of good wheelin' etiquette.

As to Jeff, Sunday is still a sacred day for some. As a preacher it is tougher to get away on a Sunday, however, if you want to lead the run this year, I'll get in line and make it if I can. If I run it, I'll likely need to keep it on a Saturday bud.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by L43dean View Post
With a radio and a baselined vehicle.
Now that there is funny.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

As to Jeff, Sunday is still a sacred day for some. As a preacher it is tougher to get away on a Sunday, however, if you want to lead the run this year, I'll get in line and make it if I can. If I run it, I'll likely need to keep it on a Saturday bud.

I'm not a preacher but prefer Saturday as well as that is typically football season and that can be sacred for others Sorry Jeff
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan