Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Group from PA and VA headed to CO in September

Hi guys- wish I could have made Cruise Moab this year had such a great time last year! I'm bringing some of the same guys who attended CM last year to Colorado in September to do some of the passes and enjoy the scenery. Hoping the aspen color cooperates!

Just wondering if Rising Sun has anything going on while we're out there. Our plans can change without too much of a problem. I've been over all the trails several times but none of the others have ever been offroad in Colorado- so whatever they see will be new and exciting. Looking for comments, input and any info on what you guys might be up to while we're in the state.

Right now our plan is to leave the east coast early morning Tuesday September 5 and make it to the Saint Louis area that night, then east on I-70 to the Denver/(hopefully) Idaho Springs area Wednesday evening. Here's my tentative itinerary for the rest of the trip:

Day 3 Thursday- I-70 west to I-470 past Red Rocks and Bandimere Speedway to route 285. 285 through the Platte Canyon to Webster. Onto the dirt at Webster and onto Red Cone pass- an awesome way to start the offroad experience in Colorado! Then Webster Pass and back out to 285. Over Kenosha Pass into South park, camp somewhere in the South park that night. (alternative beginning route if starting from Idaho Springs would be I-70 west into Georgetown, then over Guanella Pass to Webster)

Day 4 Friday- Trout Creek Pass- south on 24/285 to Nathrop- onto route 162 past St Elmo to Hancock. Over Hancock Pass, out to Route 50,east to Sergeants, then through White Pine and then over Tomichi pass back into the Pitkin area. Up over Cumberland pass into Taylor park, night camping at Almont.

Day 5 Saturday- Taylor park, then over Taylor Pass to Ashcroft, an old mining town in the area south of Aspen. Then over Pearl pass to Crested Butte. Time permitting we might be able to do Italian pass and/or get to the Star Mill location. Night at Almont campground could eat at CB or Gunnison.

Day 6 Sunday- Down to route 50, then to Lake City via hard road (149) or the forest service dirt road. From Lake City stay on the hard road to the turnoff for Stony Pass and then past Lake San Cristobal. Over Stony Pass into the Animas Forks area, from there lots of options time permitting- Hurricane pass, visit the Sound Democrat mine/mill, etc. A neat side trip from the Stony Pass road is a ride up to the Buffalo Boy mine and tramline head. Night at Silverton either camping or hotel. Theres a place in Silverton that sleeps maybe eight its above Wiley Carmacks Outdoor World store. Lotsa good places for chow in Silverton.

Day 7 Monday September 11- From Silverton up over Engineer Pass to Lake City, then back to the Silverton area via Cinnamon Pass. Possible side trip to Poughkeepsie Gulch for some wheeling for those who want/need that! Other possibilities time permitting would be trips to either Maggie or Minnie gulch or both. Night in Silverton.

Day 8 Tuesday- Leave Silverton north on 550 (million dollar highway) to Red Mt Pass- then off to Black Bear- over Black Bear down into Telluride-through Telluride then over Imogene Pass to Ouray. Time permitting there are several basins to explore off the Imogene pass road. Night in Ouray, either hotel or campground.

Day 9 Wednesday- Ouray to Ridgway- Dallas Divide down to Placerville- past Telluride and explore the Alta area- then to Ophir- over Ophir Pass to route 550- north 550 (downhill!) to the turnoff for Corkscrew Pass- over Corkscrew then over Hurricane to the Lake Como area- Poughkeepsie Gulch downhill then out to 550 and into Ouray for the night.

Day 10 Thursday- North on 550 to Montrose- Delta-Hotchkiss- and over McClure Pass to Marble-into Crystal and the most photographed old mill in CO- then side trip into Lead King Basin, then up Schofield pass into the Crested Butte area. From there down to Almont, up through Taylor Park and over Tincup Pass to Buena Vista. Night in Buena Vista.

Day 11- depending on the mood there is some great wheeling in this area, like Wheeler Lake, places like that. If everyone has had enough we will be headed east Friday.

Feel free to contact me by email if that's more convenient shmukter@pa.metrocast.net. Thanks for any input! Gary Schmauch
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmukster View Post
neat side trip from the Stony Pass road is a ride up to the Buffalo Boy mine and tramline head.
definitely go to the buffalo boy tram. worth the drive up. there's another mine (gary owen mine ) a short way past the turn off to the bb also, not a lot of parking and not a lot there but still cool.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/467-stony-pass
ige tlca #1431
62 fj40
65 fj45
71 fj55
78 fj55
95 fzj80
96 fzj80
Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, epic trip! some comments on day 3... if it were me after driving across Kansas all day (which ends right when Colfax splits off from I-70) I'd want to just stay in Denver and hit some breweries and a shower... I wouldn't want to go all the way to Idaho springs, just to double back the next day to get back down to 285. then again like you say could keep going up and over Guanella then hit Red Cone. but again the turn to Red Cone is before Webster, and before Kenosha Pass, so you're doing a lot of back tracking to do Webster first.

Another alternate route rather that Webster twice would be Mosquito pass one way then Webster back the other way... September is the best month for that. I know some decent camp sites around the Fairplay/Alma side between Webster/Mosquito if you need some suggestions send me a PM.

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Gary:

I don't know what my schedule will be in September, but if you guys need a place to camp in the Idaho Springs area let me know. At the least, I can show you a few of the watering holes in town (there are two excellent breweries).

Sounds like a fun trip! Are you going to stop by the new Caboose Hobbies, or are you sparing the rest of the group from that?

Dan
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have planned some ambitious trips and been over most every pass/route you write. This is epic.

Excellent routing. I can appreciate the time that has gone into selecting that route.

You will have long days on the go with little downtime to make this all happen. You will need fast moving trucks in great mechanical shape. You have developed considerable knowledge of the area and routes which will allow for adjustments on the fly.

I'm planning to lead a run to Cruiserfest the week of Labor Day or I'd enjoy to meet up.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Isn't our annual Ouray trip labor day weekend?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Labor Day weekend is the Ouray trip
'02 4Runner
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

On your day 3, after Red Cone. You can go up radical hill, St. johns, or deer creek. They all connect. From there you can go down middle or north fork of the swan. Middle fork of the swan will take you to Georgia Pass. Georgia Pass will take you back to 285 at jefferson on the south park side of kenosha. You wouldnt have to go back to 285 to go find somewhere to camp in the south park area. Middle and north fork have lots of great camp sites. The top of radical hill usually has mountain goats. North fork goes by wise mountain cabin. Which is free to use. All of these road cross tundra above tree line and have great views. Lots of cool mining equipment and sites in the area. Following middle or north fork all the way out will take you out on tiger road north of Breckenridge.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Getting lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDGIII View Post
On your day 3, after Red Cone. You can go up radical hill, St. johns, or deer creek. They all connect. From there you can go down middle or north fork of the swan. Middle fork of the swan will take you to Georgia Pass. Georgia Pass will take you back to 285 at jefferson on the south park side of kenosha. You wouldnt have to go back to 285 to go find somewhere to camp in the south park area. Middle and north fork have lots of great camp sites. The top of radical hill usually has mountain goats. North fork goes by wise mountain cabin. Which is free to use. All of these road cross tundra above tree line and have great views. Lots of cool mining equipment and sites in the area. Following middle or north fork all the way out will take you out on tiger road north of Breckenridge.
I've been through those areas up behind radical hill a few times but I never did get a good feel for the area, not very confident that i'd be able to find my way around. But- I do have a newer offroad book that seems to have some pretty good maps. Might just end up doing what you suggest.
I do have a soft spot for Kenosha Pass and South park, though- my model railroad was patterned after the Denver South Park and Pacific that went up over Kenosha and eventually through Alpine Tunnel to Gunnison.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Trail route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I have planned some ambitious trips and been over most every pass/route you write. This is epic.

Excellent routing. I can appreciate the time that has gone into selecting that route.

You will have long days on the go with little downtime to make this all happen. You will need fast moving trucks in great mechanical shape. You have developed considerable knowledge of the area and routes which will allow for adjustments on the fly.

I'm planning to lead a run to Cruiserfest the week of Labor Day or I'd enjoy to meet up.
Dan- thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence. Looks like right now we'll have four trucks, three of which were at Cruise Moab last year. I won't have my FJ40 but rather will be driving my (fairly new to me) 1990 HDJ81. I'm pretty confident all trucks involved will be as dependable mechanically as we can make them and hope that we get through the entire trip with little or no difficulty. Ya never know, though!