Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default mini truck rear spring options

The rear springs in my 4runner are finally to the point where I need to do something about them ASAP. The Albino Rhino (my truck's name... thanks Travis and Justin ) currently has a set of All Pro springs on the rear. The springs are almost completely flat and the truck has a distinct "desert racer" stance with the butt being very saggy. The truck has never had bump stops and I'm finding myself jamming the tires up into the fenders more and more frequently.

Here's what I've looked at so far:
  • I talked with someone at All Pro a few months back and they said that the springs I have on the truck now are really meant for a pickup rather than a 4runner and that they would recommend I switch to a different All Pro spring that would require welding new spring hangers (it's longer/heavier).
  • I talked with a Toyota-specific (primarily Land Cruisers but also Mini Trucks) shop here in Portland, OR and they wanted to re-arch my existing springs and maybe add an overload spring. They wouldn't give me a cost estimate though.
  • I tried getting an "overlanding" shop to give me a quote on doing a Chevy spring swap but after promising to call me back ASAP with a price estimate, it's been radio silence.
  • I've looked at maybe adding air bags and keeping the existing springs but I go on a lot of trails out here that full flex out my truck's suspension so I'm thinking air bags would tear pretty easily.

I have two questions:
  1. What spring setup should I get for my truck? (I have a swing-out tire carrier on the bumper with two five gallon gas cans and usually carry 300-700 lbs of tools and recovery/camping gear in the back plus passenger(s) sometimes)
  2. Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the greater Portland metro area that could do the work?
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 11-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would avoid re-arched springs and add-a-leaves, temporary fixes IMHO. Air bags are OK, but I would think not an ideal solution for fatigued springs. Those are better for intermittent excess cargo or occasional trailer use.

The 1984-1988 truck and 4Runner springs are similar but not exactly the same AFAIK. I think the 4Runner springs are slightly longer. They should be close, though, not enough different to require changing spring hangers.

If you use 1989-1995 truck springs you may have to move hangers, they are longer. If you're going to the trouble of doing that you could consider lots of different options, 63" Chevy springs, for example.

Personally, I'd put OME heavy springs on, if they make them for that year 4Runner. I believe OME lists the same rear springs (CS010R for +250kg) on the pickup and 4Runner when rear leafs are used. Those or the Northwest Offroad springs (they are up north of Seattle I think).

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 11-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I would call Alcan Springs in Grand Junction. Bill will explain what he need to make you a custom spring specific to your truck and it’s weight. Have him add an orbital eye to one end & never worry/consider a 63” swap again.

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com
Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
I would call Alcan Springs in Grand Junction. Bill will explain what he need to make you a custom spring specific to your truck and it’s weight. Have him add an orbital eye to one end & never worry/consider a 63” swap again.

www.outerlimitsupply.com
/\ This.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 11-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Trail Ready

You could also call Deaver. Trail gear has 56" spring kits. They usually have big discounts this time of year...http://www.trail-gear.com/product/46...ssic-rear-lift
Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
So they're worth the money in your opinion? I talked with Bill a few months back (and completely forgot about that conversation). He quoted $680 for rear springs and $660 for front springs. I know that Roger Brown talks very highly of them.

Would you recommend sticking with the current spring dimensions on my truck (they're something like 59" eye to eye) or change the hanger locations to a Chevy-style spacing (63" or whatever it is)?
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 12-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Alcans. Install bump stops with new springs.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have 63’s (non-Alcan’s) & I hang up on the forward hanger all the time. I’ll link it at some point out of necessity but doubt I would have needed to if I had left the original configuration.

www.outerlimitsupply.com
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Rock Stacker

I put Chevy springs in the rear of my 94 4runner. It's a pretty simple swap. You will need new hangers and have to relocate them. I believe I got the hangers from ruff stuff specialties or All pro off road in Montana