Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Wincher

Default 75 fj40

Haven't decided if I want to part this thing out or sell the entire rig as-is...it's 98% rust free. If I part it out ,the only thing I want to keep is everything from the front clip forward.

The rest can go...the frame is POR15d', the rig is super clean, the motor needs head gasket (most likely), has pointless ignition, downey shackle lift, de-smogged, tranny/transfer rebuilt with new bearings (amsoil too), but needs new syncros (need to double shift 3rd). Has the 3spd transfer and transition gear. 33" BFG skinnies (100 miles or so), that holly auto choke carb thingy, front 76 disk axle (rebuilt, includes detroit locker), etc. I've owned and garaged this for 14 years with only a couple hundred miles since I bought it...

I'm not sure what I can get for the entire rig, or if I should just piece it out. It's almost a shame that I would piece something like this out, given i only need only the sheet metal from the front clip onwards. (don't need the tub).

I've been out of the game for a while, so unsure the price, all I know is that insurance recommended 15k in coverage for the rig. here as some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/yPKdbpG957Qb7X4d8

I don't have any pics of the undercarriage and engine compartment, will get some up soon...but trust me...SUPER clean.

K
Old 04-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

why would you part it out?
82 FJ40
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Wincher

One, I can keep the VIN for an 80/40 combo.

The other is that the sheet metal is so good...though, If I can sell the 40 for enough to cover Aqualu tub and fenders and a steel 40 hood (Aqualu hood is ugly to me), and the various bits and pieces I need...then I'll sell it.

I'm torn for sure, hate to disect such a clean rig that just needs some motor TLC.

K
Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

I'd suggest selling it as-is and just buying the front clip bits you need elsewhere.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Wincher

I would like to sell it as is of possible...and would if i could cover replacement body parts. Need to check out Craigslist to get some market numbers
Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

It would be a shame to part out such a nice FJ40 if the engine just needs really minor stuff like a head gasket.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'd sell it and buy another truck with shot sheet metal for the vin & small parts, then start fresh with all new parts except weird odds and ends from your doner.

If you do that you might not feel the burn from the market number since you'd be selling high and buying less high.
82 FJ40
Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Did you put the diamond plate over all the areas that tend to rust, or did the previous owner do that? Not saying it isn't nearly rust free, it would just be unusual that someone would buy all of that without the need to cover up holes. Waaaaaay back when, some guys put that stuff on as armor, but the trucks were far younger then too. If you put them on, I might suggest you pull those back off and sell without them. Today's buyers seem to prefer "original" look for the best price. I agree with others too, doesn't appear that parting it out is worth it. Better to sell as a whole with the title.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post
Did you put the diamond plate over all the areas that tend to rust, or did the previous owner do that? Not saying it isn't nearly rust free, it would just be unusual that someone would buy all of that without the need to cover up holes. Waaaaaay back when, some guys put that stuff on as armor, but the trucks were far younger
That **** is ugly...previous owner (from 12 years ago). I kept it on so that it would protect the sides should anything fall in the garage or during transit on it.

I need take it off so that I can snap some pics, but I can tell you there is no rust through on the other side, so I'm assuming it's in pretty solid shape.

I see tons of fj's on craigslist for an obscene amount of money...do they really go that high? When I insured it with Hagerty's they recommended a minimum of 15k based on the pics I sent them.

I have thought about selling this, buying a combo of aqualu and steel from another junker...but in my search for FJ40 hoods (for example), hard to come by (with the later model "hump" in the middle).

K
Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I'd sell it and buy another truck with shot sheet metal for the vin & small parts, then start fresh with all new parts except weird odds and ends from your doner.

If you do that you might not feel the burn from the market number since you'd be selling high and buying less high.
Wise words Marco...
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/