Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can purchase a remote-control operated relay, and replace a common relay (like fuel pump) with it. Many in the PowerStroke community use this. This is not that one, but shows the concept. Pretty hard to spot and defeat unless you suspect it.

http://www.mobilistics.com/NoStartHome.html
Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

May have found an option.

http://www.ravelco.com/index.html
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

What the heck is a Ravelco? It looks like an expensive plug from what I can tell.

ETA: I guess you tap into a couple of wires, so I surmise that the keychain part is completing circuits when you plug it in. A fancy kill switch IOW.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Something to know is a keyless entry that opens the doors as you walk up is always polling for the key, so you want to make sure to hide your fob in such a way that it can't communicate with the car.

That's how they get it, sit on the street and be the man-in-the-middle, which means even though your car and fob aren't close enough to work (say 200 feet), they'll have a repeater with a high gain antenna that can talk to your fob while sitting next to the car. You could be several hundred yards away, no way your fob would normally work but it can still be hacked with a good antenna and amplifier.

At home throwing the fob in an ammo can or anything else will effectively prevent communication but there's no way to always protect your key in public. Just the act of walking from your car to a shop means someone can snoop on it.
That's essentially how they got us. My wife would park on the street out front and leave her keys in the foyer of the house. Too far to unlock the car normally, but with the repeater, they opened the passenger door and rifled through the contents. No alarm, no noise, in and out in seconds. Lucky for us, we're conditioned enough to not leave valuables in the cars. My neighbors, not so much. Anyway, we keep keys at the back and haven't had a problem, but maybe I should toss them in a tin box.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I won't detail how cause I'm paranoid about the Chili, but I installed a kill switch that switches the ignition wire to a master relay. The master relay when active (secure mode) sends power to ALL my LED circuits and horn rather than the starter. The premise is that when active and someone tries to start the truck the whole thing becomes a beacon of attention. Scared the **** out of me and I knew it was there.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, ****. Another car was stolen this afternoon in our neighborhood. 2 blocks from the house. Around 4pm. 2 cars in the past few days very close to the house. Both were Subaru WRXs.

Yesterday a guy was caught by a neighbor a few doors down. He was checking car doors in their driveway. Cops were called but Iím pretty sure he didnít get picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
What the heck is a Ravelco? It looks like an expensive plug from what I can tell.

ETA: I guess you tap into a couple of wires, so I surmise that the keychain part is completing circuits when you plug it in. A fancy kill switch IOW.
Dave, I'm not completely sure how it works. It was recommended to me during my research the past few days. Something about how it interfaces with the Can-Bus in the truck.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

this is all just terrible to read... do you guys have security systems? At least you could give the cops some images to work from, worst case should the unthinkable happen.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ravelcos are put in 7.3l Ford diesels in TX and AZ (where they are frequently stolen). I believe that the device interrupts 3 wires (in various circuits) and is impossible to hotwire. I think they are professionally installed (rather than DIY). Very effective, from what I have read. Some info here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eputation.html
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
this is all just terrible to read... do you guys have security systems? At least you could give the cops some images to work from, worst case should the unthinkable happen.
I'm running over to HD today and picking up some Ring cameras. Their flood light setup to cover the driveway and the spot light one for the side door. My home office lets me watch the backyard all day since I work from home and the dogs are a little crazy about people who come up to the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
I think they are professionally installed (rather than DIY). Very effective, from what I have read.
They are. Local installer is in Arvada. I've also been seeing a lot about how effective they are.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Came across this post:
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...42#post1698442

My suspicion is that the Ravelco is a fancy kill switch. I think the relevant statement is that installing it voids any factory warranty you have on the electrical system. But so does cutting into your harness to put in a DIY kill switch.

I will say I like the idea of it, giving some visual deterrent and an easy switch. I'd probably buy the generic one from eBay and pick a couple of random circuits. One of the main issues to me is the installer will I guess select what Ravelco instructs for your model, which means more than one person other than you know how to defeat it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ravelco-...gAAOSwNFVZggTs

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus