Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default home wiring question

With the rash of stolen vehicles in our neighborhood, I picked up a couple of Ring spotlight cameras the other day. I used one as a replacement for an existing floodlight but the other I'd like to put over our side door.

The camera came with a 20' cord with a plug but being able to unplug a camera kind of defeats its purpose. So, I'd like to hard wire it. There is a light over the side door that I had originally thought about tapping into. However, that would mean that camera would only be on when the light is on. Not what I want. If I wire into the hot side of the switch for the light, the camera should have constant power, yes?

I'm assuming that I don't want to just run the power cord down into the wall. I'm off to the hardware store to pick up some romex. There shouldn't be any issues cutting the cord and connecting to the romex, right? I have a box of waterproof twist connectors that I'll use on the camera end of the connection.

The camera that is currently up and running is pretty slick. Pretty impressed with the quality of the video and the motion detection reaches out to the end of the driveway, about 35'. The Ring service didn't want to play with the VPN I use on the router but a couple of easy tweaks fixed that.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

there are two basic ways to wire a light. I generally bring power into the switch box, then interrupt the black wire through the switch, then out to the light. But it's possible the power comes into the light first, then the black side loops down to the switch. The end result is the same... but if you pull your faceplate on that switch and see a black on one side and white on the other, it's possible they wired it the latter style, in which case you could tap into the power at the light box.

Good reason to buy one of those little voltage testers, poke around little before you hook it up. Obviously flip the breaker before you dig into it..

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can you post photos of what came with the camera and what you mean by cutting cords? I'm assuming a 2- or 3-conductor flexible, stranded cable of some sort with a plug on it that you're cutting off.

You can take a constant hot from a switch, that's all an outlet on a branch circuit is.

Just a little confused about what was included and what you're intending to wire nut together.

If you want to stay code compliant it may be better to run a cord down the wall with clips holding it to trim. What is permanent wiring and what's temporary can be a little bit of a gray area. Romex is supposed to never be run exposed or in conduit while extension cord isn't supposed to be used for permanent wiring. So if I understand correctly you may have a transition (e.g. romex to extension cord) that would technically require an outlet.

As far as being plugged in or not, think about the wiring. If it's exposed it doesn't matter if there's a plug or not since it can be cut or more likely just ripped off the wall.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've found this site to have handy graphics for all things lights. http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/elect...g-a-house.html
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 10-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dave, it's a 3 pronged cord. My thought was to run it down into the wall through the junction box that is currently holding the light. I picked up some 12/2 romex yesterday and pulled the light off to take a peek but I didn't get any further than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post
I've found this site to have handy graphics for all things lights. http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/elect...g-a-house.html
Thanks for that link. Great info.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm interested to hear how the lights/camera work once connected. I've though about getting something similar
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I'm interested to hear how the lights/camera work once connected. I've though about getting something similar
The one I currently have up works great. You do have to sign up for their service to archive the videos. Once signed up, the videos stay online for 60 days. Ring's service is $30/yr for a single camera or $100/yr for unlimited cameras. I've added my wife's email to the account so she can also view the camera on her phone. There's an intercom so not only can I hear someone, I can talk to them. It also has a siren along with range definitions for the motion detector and camera. Motion detector is pretty sensitive and will turn the lights on for people and/or cars in the street at the end of the driveway.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

I believe NEC allows PVC jacketed cord (or similar flexible 'extension cord' type stuff) to be terminated into a junction box with a liquid-tight strain relief. If you're interested in staying in compliance I don't mind digging a bit to make sure. But either way it would be the only way that I can think of and it's how drop cords are done in industrial and commercial wiring.

Name:  854209671_o_mid.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  amtec_non-insulated_strain_relief.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I believe NEC allows PVC jacketed cord (or similar flexible 'extension cord' type stuff) to be terminated into a junction box with a liquid-tight strain relief. If you're interested in staying in compliance I don't mind digging a bit to make sure. But either way it would be the only way that I can think of and it's how drop cords are done in industrial and commercial wiring.

Attachment 53258

Attachment 53259
So, does that mean I would not need the romex? Just cut the cord and drop it into the wall? If that works, I'm totally interested in any other info you've got. Thanks Dave.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't know if you'll need romex, depends on where things are laid out. What I'm saying is you can transition to flexible cable (it's called 'service' cord if you want to be precise, SOW, SJOW, etc.) with a compression or liquid tight fitting. You may need to get the branch from inside to outside the wall, you can't (per Code technically) run flexible cable in place of permanent wiring.

When you have a drop to an outlet, you'll see this often in shops, you have to have a fixed junction with the romex or rigid conduit then a strain relief to the flexible cord. They are called pendants I think. There are several other exceptions since you can't allow romex to flex, so joining a piece of equipment to a branch that needs mechanical or noise isolation.

Section 400 of the NEC specifically says flexible cable cannot be run through a hole in a wall, actually attached to a wall (e.g. substitution for permanent wiring), concealed, etc. From what it sounds like to me you will need to stretch the interpretation (again, to be compliant with NEC) of this to allow a quasi-permanent wiring of the camera.

Name:  GarElectric3.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  Mvc-552l1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  28.2 KB

The way an electrician and inspector would want to see this is an outlet brought up near the camera and the camera plugged into it. They do make cable armor and lock-able outlet covers.

Name:  ld5-ld-6ivoryr.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  90.4 KB