Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I used the speaker on my camera to tell some dude in my garage (painter snooping) that I could see him and it ended the problem real fast.
82 FJ40
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I don't know if you'll need romex, depends on where things are laid out. What I'm saying is you can transition to flexible cable (it's called 'service' cord if you want to be precise, SOW, SJOW, etc.) with a compression or liquid tight fitting. You may need to get the branch from inside to outside the wall, you can't (per Code technically) run flexible cable in place of permanent wiring.

When you have a drop to an outlet, you'll see this often in shops, you have to have a fixed junction with the romex or rigid conduit then a strain relief to the flexible cord. They are called pendants I think. There are several other exceptions since you can't allow romex to flex, so joining a piece of equipment to a branch that needs mechanical or noise isolation.

Section 400 of the NEC specifically says flexible cable cannot be run through a hole in a wall, actually attached to a wall (e.g. substitution for permanent wiring), concealed, etc. From what it sounds like to me you will need to stretch the interpretation (again, to be compliant with NEC) of this to allow a quasi-permanent wiring of the camera.

The way an electrician and inspector would want to see this is an outlet brought up near the camera and the camera plugged into it. They do make cable armor and lock-able outlet covers.
thanks for the info dave. some of that is a little beyond my mr. fix-it abilities. i do like the idea of a lockable outlet though but the camera came with 20' of cord. i may pack it back up, take it back and wait for the battery powered version to be released.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
thanks for the info dave. some of that is a little beyond my mr. fix-it abilities. i do like the idea of a lockable outlet though but the camera came with 20' of cord. i may pack it back up, take it back and wait for the battery powered version to be released.
Just throwing it out there. There's usually two ways to do something, the right one and the one I did (figured out later).

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just throwing it out there. There's usually two ways to do something, the right one and the one I did (figured out later).
ha. totally get it.