Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff,
I assume you mean Kane Creek Campground as Kane Springs is sold and permanently closed. Please clarify.

Best regards,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
At our monthly Cruise Moab committee meeting last night we decided to go with Kane Creek Campground for our headquarters. We plan on having some kind of VERY limited WiFi, no way anyone could stream videos but it would be enough for squares and would just be for committee and vendors. It's just that all of the satellite solutions that are (relatively) affordable have pretty limited B/W. For example, the Irridium satellite hotspot has a B/W of 24kbs.

Note that you can get full cell service and free WiFi just a mile or so back down Kane Creek road as you get into town.

I have a phone call scheduled with the campground owner later today and will learn many more details, I have a whole list of questions for him from the committee. Once I have that conversation I will share what I have learned.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Jeff,
I assume you mean Kane Creek Campground as Kane Springs is sold and permanently closed. Please clarify.

Best regards,

Jeff
Yes Kane Creek Campground (what I wrote above). I have never heard of Kane Springs Campground; but the map does say Kane Creek Campground is at the intersection of Kane Springs Road and Kane Creek Blvd.

Their web site is here:

https://www.kanecreekmoab.com/
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, my mistake.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Trail Ready

Good Spot!

1996 FZJ80
2000 UZJ100
Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff and team, thanks for working this. Making changes to long standard routine are never easy. We will all do what we can to help. Let us know what you find out after talking to the owner
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Vice Commander

Thanks Ken,
We're pretty excited on the committee that this will be a change for the better!

Hold tight as we get a few things together (like a camping discount for participants!) and we'll have all the official details up as soon as they are all ironed out.

I'm optimistic that we can get more folks camping at the venue that we have the last few years. This location also has fire rings so I think we have potential for some improved campfire socials that we've been missing recently as well.

I'm pumped for CM down by the River!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 01-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Jeff and team, thanks for working this. Making changes to long standard routine are never easy. We will all do what we can to help. Let us know what you find out after talking to the owner
You're welcome Ken, it wasn't just making a change, it was a lot of uncertainty and a lot of work by the committee. It is a huge relief to have this nailed down finally.

I did have a good conversation with the owner yesterday. We are going to be headquartered at the North end in what are called group areas A and B. There are portable toilets here and there. There is running water and electricity in the deluxe RV and campsite area, but not one for each site like we are used to at Slickrock. At the South end where it says full service RV, there are individual hookups, but it is a very long hike to get to our headquarters. There are showers down at the South end by the full service RV area and an office.

Due to the proximity to the river, there is no septic and drain field. He plans to continue to develop and improve the campground over a period of years, and those plans include tearing up the road to get a sewer line connected to town ($$$), and getting better WiFi if not cell service.

We will be permitted to work on our rigs, but please don't spill any fluids and if you do, please clean it up. We will bring in some extra porta potties and dumpsters to accommodate the extra people for vendor night and the dinner/raffle. As Andy mentioned, we will get a coupon code to get 20% off on camping.

Neil and Jackson were planning to travel to Moab next Wednesday to meet with the people who issue our various permits. While they are in town, it will be an ideal time for them to meet with the owner (who lives in SLC) and do a walk through for us to get a sense of the layout and for him to better understand our needs. I have put the 3 of them in touch with each other so they can make those arrangements directly.

I misunderstood which Wednesday Neil and Jackson were referring to, they were talking about the Wednesday during the event. So instead we'll try to have that walk through whenever we go out there for Trail Leader Training.

Probably the biggest takaway on all this, and it is a very, very good takeaway, is that the owner is eager to have us, and sounds like he is going to be very flexible to try to meet our needs so that our group has a great experience. He thinks that we will like it so much that we will choose his campground as our headquarters going forward in the years to come. Oh and one last thing: he's a cruiserhead. He has overlanded in an 80 and a 100, and his wife used to have a 60.

Last edited by Rzeppa; 01-27-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding about when Neil and Jackson were going to Moab
Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

If we are going to be headquarters in the group areas. Is there electricity anywhere near by for the main tent?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

By the way, if you need me to head out to Moab for any reason to take care of anything,I am free until mid March. Let me know. Jeff, you were suppose to send me a package from Perry.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
If we are going to be headquarters in the group areas. Is there electricity anywhere near by for the main tent?
I have an email in to Craig Weston, the owner asking that question. If there is not, we will rent generator(s).