Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 06-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Lifted

Default A partial trip up Moon Gulch

Had a nice trip up moon gulch this afternoon with the girlfriend, kids and dogs. A slight change in the difficulty due to a washout early on. I didn't clock the mileage to the washed out area but it wasn't too far past where road maintenance stopped. I watched a newer grand Cherokee and range rover in stock condition pass it but a Subaru would probably rub some glass due to the angle.

We had stopped and had lunch where an unmarked trail cuts up to the right. Dogs had a blast chasing the kids around the woods while we digested and fought a food coma. We traveled for another ten mins and flipped around at a camp site which I will probably revisit this summer. I want to check on the legality of it first before driving some steaks.*

On the way back I was reminded that I had never changed out the zerk on my drive shaft as I heard it catch on the full tank skid plate and shear off. It must have bent the skid plate just enough for the balance weight to catch on the way by and made the issue worse. It grabbed it two more times on the way down during off camber flex.*

After the washout,*Marshe wanted to drive on the way back so she could get a feel for creeper gear and how to control your decent without riding the break.*

Once we got home I was able to crawl under the 4runner and assess the total damage. It took a small Philips and a hammer to get the remainder of the zerk out and luckily the threads were intact. I replaced it with the cap screw but will need to get a new zerk fitting so I can grease the slip. I did have to unbolt the rear of the drive shaft to get the vise grips up on the skid to straighten and bend a skosh past factory to try to avoid contact with the balancing weight. I may have to grind some of the plate away if this fix doesn't work.

So over all very successful and got away with insignificant damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
Had a nice trip up moon gulch this afternoon with the girlfriend, kids and dogs. A slight change in the difficulty due to a washout early on. I didn't clock the mileage to the washed out area but it wasn't too far past where road maintenance stopped. I watched a newer grand Cherokee and range rover in stock condition pass it but a Subaru would probably rub some glass due to the angle.

We had stopped and had lunch where an unmarked trail cuts up to the right. Dogs had a blast chasing the kids around the woods while we digested and fought a food coma. We traveled for another ten mins and flipped around at a camp site which I will probably revisit this summer. I want to check on the legality of it first before driving some steaks.*

On the way back I was reminded that I had never changed out the zerk on my drive shaft as I heard it catch on the full tank skid plate and shear off. It must have bent the skid plate just enough for the balance weight to catch on the way by and made the issue worse. It grabbed it two more times on the way down during off camber flex.*

After the washout,*Marshe wanted to drive on the way back so she could get a feel for creeper gear and how to control your decent without riding the break.*

Once we got home I was able to crawl under the 4runner and assess the total damage. It took a small Philips and a hammer to get the remainder of the zerk out and luckily the threads were intact. I replaced it with the cap screw but will need to get a new zerk fitting so I can grease the slip. I did have to unbolt the rear of the drive shaft to get the vise grips up on the skid to straighten and bend a skosh past factory to try to avoid contact with the balancing weight. I may have to grind some of the plate away if this fix doesn't work.

So over all very successful and got away with insignificant damage.

More photos of the trip.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

I also had the issue with the zerk and weight hitting after putting in the second case. Is this your first trip out with duals? When I had the factory skid on the tank I did exactly what you did and pounded the skid plate in next to where the weight was. Fixed the issue perfectly.

I think with the shorter driveshaft, the increased arc makes it easier to hit the tank.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to Lastresort576

Looks like a nice trail. How far out ball park from Denver is this?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Lifted

50 minutes from superior. Not sure the nest way to get there from Denver but it's a stone throw from Nederland if that helps.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to Lastresort576

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
50 minutes from superior. Not sure the nest way to get there from Denver but it's a stone throw from Nederland if that helps.

definitely does thanks!