Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Lifted

Default Attempt at West Magnolia Rd.

I have had the itch to do a shakedown run ever since I got back from Texas a week and a half ago. Today was the day. Called the ranger station and they said that snow was starting around 10.5k AMSL. So I grabbed the my navigator (Jiovanni 8y/o) and plotted a course in Arapaho National on a road named West Magnolia just west of Rollinsville. It rained on and off coming up coal creek canyon bit since I slapped on the km2s I wasn't worried. We made it to the start of West Magnolia (aka fs 105) only to find out it wasn't opened for the season as of yet.
Not to be thwarted, and with the itch burrowing deep, we continued west on east portal rd. We eventually found country rd 4n and pointed it up hill. It was wet with intermittent showers and easy enough to keep it in 2wheel. Just what I was looking for!

Around 9500' we hit the first patch of residual snow pack. Pulled off for a photo op and that's when my right seat pointed out that the canyon was in a complete white-out! Snapped a few photos just as the rain turned to wet snow.

The trail was clear and there were fresh tracks of something pulling a trailer (not too well as the signs pointed to the trailer slipping of the edge of the wide trail on several corners) so we kept on keeping on. We made it to unit 38 campsite after blasting through some old drifts and found an xj with a teardrop trailer parked in the lot. The path was no longer clear and cruising solo decided that it was a bad time to try to break trail through the snow. We flipped around and headed back in 4low. By this time the snow flakes were huge! When we hit portal rd it had turned back to rain. We chased a full rainbow all the way back to coal creek. My navigator kept his eyes peeled but never found the pot of gold.

Round trip of of 120 miles in about 3.5 hours. New truck did well and got those bushings all worked around. Solid trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 01:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like a fun day!

"A man's greatest strides are made without taking a single step"

Toyota Trails Magazine Managing Editor
OutdoorX4 Magazine Staff
100s in the Hills Co-Director
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like it was fun, I enjoy those cold snowy/rainy days very much when behind a steering wheel. I'm glad the truck did fine and thanks for the photos!
82 FJ40
Old 06-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Lifted

It was a fun one. At one point I could see all the way across the valley, next time I looked it was completely socked in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk