Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Need advice on devils punchbowl

Hi all, new here. I'm coming up from Arizona with my boys to do some good ole camping and four wheeling. I have a jeep rubicon and trying to get info on good four wheel rides where I can camp along the route. Read about devils punchbowl near marble and want to know what people think. How bad or dangerous is this trip. I do have a lifted jeep with 35 inch tires. Thanks for any and all advice or recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Falls into the dangerous not difficult catagory. Like Black Bear Pass you likely wont survive a bad mistake. That area is loaded with spectacular trails and remote camping. Schofield Pass is a blasted out ledge that is mostly wide enough for two vehicles to pass. In a couple spots the trail has large rocks thst have fallen onto the trail making it quite narrow. There is also the west end that is very narrow and you have to yield to a vehicle already on it that coming toward you. Spectacular country but if narrow and sometimes off camber ( to the outside) trail is not your thing then its probably not for you!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Like Kevin said - it's not too difficult but it is narrow and dealing with a vehicle going the other direction can be a problem. If you can time it so that you are going up the narrow section when there is no other traffic around, it'll be a lot more fun. I wouldn't go up there on a weekend. Also regarding the rock on the trail near the top, You need to do a tight swing to the uphill side to get around it. Without the rear locker engaged, my 80 wouldn't have made the detour.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was a passenger in my dads stock jeep rubicon driving from crested butte to marble. We had no issues. The trail is narrow in spots like people said. There are two Charles A. Wells guide books that do a good job of describing many trails. There are back county or free dispersed camp sites along many trails as well.