Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Webmaster

Default Red Elephant Hill 8/9/17

To paraphrase comedian Steven Wright, "I went wheeling today and I was the only one who showed up but we had a great time." If you aren't familiar with the guy check out some of his quotes: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo....Steven_Wright
On to the trip report. It's true, I was the only one there and I left the Taco Bell parking lot at 9:20am and headed up to Red Elephant Hill and was aired down and in low range by 9:30. Things seem to go more quickly when you are by yourself. Those who have run Red Elephant in years past will remember the first mile or two as steady steep with a couple of mildly difficult rocky/tree sections before getting to a big, but short, rocky section right before a steep left hand uphill switchback. It's been a couple of years since I ran Red Elephant and let me tell you, this section of the trail has changed dramatically. Don't know if it is just torrential rain recently but these mildly difficult rocky sections have become severely washed out and much more interesting while the known big rock sections will keep the really built rigs on their toes. Fortunately there is a solid go around which I took at that point directly below the switchback. I wouldn't recommend open-diffed vehicles trying the lower two miles alone. From the switchback on up, the trail is pretty much like I remember it without much erosion damage. Just above the switchback there was an adopt-a-trail sign showing Mile High J**p Club and Hobo J**pers as being the caretakers and I salute them for keeping the trail extremely clean. Not one piece of trash was seen the entire morning which is unusual in this area. Did a quick trip down to the lower Mill Creek crossing before turning around and traversing over to the middle section of Bill Moore Lake trail which I took down. Heading down the road leading to Empire I came across the only other vehicle on the trail besides me, while I was taking a leak, naturally! It was a built third gen (just guessing) 4Runner with three guys in it. I first thought maybe it was a RS crew that had missed the meetup time but it wasn't anyone I recognized. A further clue that it wasn't anyone from the RS was that both passengers were drinking beers - at 11:00am - and they asked if I needed one. I thanked them but refrained and motored on down while they headed up to Bill Moore. Aired up and got to Empire by 11:30. Stopped by Slee Off Road on the way home and was somewhat surprised by the largeness of the new building there. Come October, according to Christo, it will be complete and it will be something to see when it is.
A good quick trip and really gorgeous wheeling day on a nearby and interesting trail. Sorry y'all missed it. We had a great time!!

Last edited by Crash; 08-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good for you, Steve...keeping the flame of wheeling burning strong! Glad you had a fun time!
2000 4 Runner, my daughter's truck, thanks Dan!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Way to go Steve. And that was a great little trip report. Way to go.

I have some Jeep guys at work that are eager beavers. I suggested RE Hill (after we just did Barber). We are planning on going up after work a week from tomorrow (Thursday). So I was very interested in the trail conditions. Sounds like "we" will have our hands full on that first shelf road section.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Awesome trip report! I wanted to go soo bad but just couldnt pull it off. Your write up helped me live vicariously through your adventure! Good form sir!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior