Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

There's no logical reason for stick shifts. Perhaps the only advantage a stick shift has is they don't overheat? If you ignore burning up clutches anyway. Not rarely when I'm doing something technical I think to myself that it's about time I get with the auto tranny program. But I just like rowing gears, a glutton for punishment I guess.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Rock Stacker

Corbet- what's the output shaft spline count on your sm465?
Seems like a big thing for the fj40s is finding short enough trannys. I been reading on the th400 and 700r4s, both seem to be long transmissions.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
There's no logical reason for stick shifts.
Other than...they shift when YOU want them to based on information the ECT doesn't have...

FWIW, and I have seen many, many V8 conversions on 40s, if the v8 is mounted far enough forward so that the front of the motor is basically where the front of the original F/2F was, that basically makes enough room in the back for an NV4500 or H55F. I am no fan of super short rear drive shafts regardless of tire size especially when talking big lifts like sprung over for example. But I have seen a number of examples of well-done V8 conversions where there is enough room for a 5 speed.

Totally agree with UB about the H55F, way easier shifting than SM420, SM465 or NV4500. Note that NV4500s came in 3 different flavors (ratios)! Joe Calleja at CTS in Conifer can school you on that!

Finally, from an engineering perspective, the more you can put gears where they are used (think portal axles) such as diff ratios, the less you stress loads on driveline components as far as breakage.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Corbet- what's the output shaft spline count on your sm465?
Seems like a big thing for the fj40s is finding short enough trannys. I been reading on the th400 and 700r4s, both seem to be long transmissions.
Let me see if I can get to it after work today. It's kind of buried in storage.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Lifted

I had a V8 with the stock 4 speed and back in the early 2000's decided I wanted a lower gear for crawling. Based on everyone's gushing reviews of the NV4500 at the time, I opted for that. After a few years I yanked it out. I'm still waiting for time to put the SM465/NP205 I sourced in. Reasons I didn't like the 4500:
Way too big. You have to cut the cross member out to fit it, it rides so far back in the tunnel that it can't be pushed up high enough and as a result hangs down way too far. I didn't really have an issue with driveline length, but my rear axle is pushed back with a spring flip (I can't remember what that gets you, 3.5" IIRC).
I could never get the adapter to stop leaking and the mounting bolts to the cross member would never stay tight. They'd loosen in a matter of days, no matter what I did. Now that may be a complaint of the specific tranny and adapter I had and not all 4500's.
I rarely used 5th gear anyway. Maybe if you're geared better it would be more useful, but with 4:10's and 36"s it was pointless.
I'm starting to think auto is the way I should have gone like several have opined, but I have all the parts now.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Rock Stacker

Called up classic cruisers and was told they still have sm465 plate adaptors for $255. The automatics did interest me, but at this this time sticking with the manual seems like the right thing to do. Maybe once I'm older and get tired of shifting I'll throw a slush box in it!
Trying to bring myself to make a build thread on this thing as to hopefully contribute back to this awesome group!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pics...
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

For what it is worth, Justin4045 is brining in a few h55’s & I think an h42 right now. He might sell you one at a good price & he is down in castle rock too I believe.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I understand the NV4500 isn't for everyone. I am happy with mine. I already mentioned the shorter drive shaft. Also understand the hang down comment. Robbie built a bracket to hold mine and he replaced the missing cross member by moving it down a bit.

My truck had it when I bought it and it was freshly rebuilt. I really enjoy the 5 speed, haven't noticed the shifting problems mentioned earlier and the low gears with 33" pizza cutter tires are fine in Low 1.

I think part of it depends on what you are using your cruiser for. I wheel the harder stuff in my 200 This is just a fun 2nd vehicle for me and it cruises well on the highway without the noise my 2F 4 speed did at highway speeds. With my 350, it's quick on the pickup and hasnt let me down

I am not advocating this is the way to go, just that it does work in some situations
Attached Images

16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Pics...
Thanks for the pictures! Looks like that would be the tranny i would if i end up going that route. Although making time to get down there might be hard to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
For what it is worth, Justin4045 is brining in a few h55ís & I think an h42 right now. He might sell you one at a good price & he is down in castle rock too I believe.
So what can i expect to pay for an h55? I've read of people paying anywhere from $1500-3000. The idea of a toyota 5 speed is very appealing, just the price tag scares me a little bit. Is it really worth it? Never driven one, closest thing would an H42.

Questions i would have:
-The H55 would bolt up to the same bellhousings an h42 would, correct?
-And a split case would be required instead of my older 3 or 4 speed case?
-I have a new sbc v8 that will one day be at the 400 hp mark. Should i worry about the h55 with that kind of power?

My goals would be able to drive the cruiser around town/ short highway jaunts or all the way to moab/ a capable rig for crawling and snow bashing.

I think my one concern with the Sm465 would be not being able to shift quick enough in the snow. Can anyone chime in on this?