Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
So I crawled up under there today and took a look. Bearing spins freely and with no noise or rotation issues with the 40 stationary, both with the engine running and not. And this is consistent with what I've be hearing all along. The noise only seems to happen when coming to a stop - in the range of 15 mph to 0 mph. The noise "decelerates" proportionately with the slowing of the vehicle until it completely goes away once stopped.

The bearing does have a bit of play - sliding along the shaft toward the clutch. There's nothing in the FSM about movement with the bearing or position of the clutch fork so I'm not sure what is "normal?"
There should be very little if any longitudinal play along the input shaft axis. No more than 1-2mm or so. It doesn't hurt if there's no clearance at all and they are in constant contact, as long as it is only a little contact. There are two adjustments for this, the length of the slave rod and the length of the master rod, the former being the one you normally adjust when you're installing a clutch. You might just need a little adjustment - I would lengthen the slave rod a tad to take up any slack and see what that does.

Have you tried putting the tranny in neutral and engaging the clutch prior to coming to a stop? That would take any pressure off the TO bearing with the clutch engaged.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

If this noise is a failing TO bearing, shouldn't it get worse with colder weather? Or at least stay the same.

Oddly enough, whatever my noise is, as the weather has gotten cooler it's all but gone away. I've got about a 4 mile commute to work, and not enough time for the 40 to fully warm up, but this morning I had no noise whatsoever. Driving it that same route in July, I'd get it every time I slow to a stop, or roll forward at speeds < 10 mph. I've been driving the 40 a lot lately, and I barely notice the noise any more.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

The grease in the bearing is thicker. Probably come back if you get the flywheel and transmission warmer. Try taking the long way home tonight and get everything up to temp. It's pretty much insulated from heat so it's going to take some time to warm up above ambient, plus the bearing is sealed and not insubstantial. So if it's just worn out but still got some lube left this seems consistent.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Right - but my thinking is that at running temps, the grease is "activated" and will lube better? When cold, it should be harder and less viscous, and thus the bearing would squeal more. Right?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

if the noise is a bad throwout bearing it'd be affected by engine speed when the clutch is pressed in, not vehicle speed since it contacts the pressure plate. will the noise change when the clutch is in AND you pull it into neutral?
82 FJ40
Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Right - but my thinking is that at running temps, the grease is "activated" and will lube better? When cold, it should be harder and less viscous, and thus the bearing would squeal more. Right?
I dunno, I think since it's less viscous that it's more difficult to displace so in effect cushions the bearing more. Bearing squeal is due to some sort of vibration being set up between the balls or rollers against the cages and races, so regardless that the grease is or isn't acting like a lube the change in viscosity to be thicker would damp the noise. If the bearing has worn and the fit is loose that would quiet (or at least change) it.

But I think the point here is that it's either the throw-out if it's related to the engine & pedal only or maybe the pilot or input if not. From your descriptions I'm still willing to bet you just need to replace the clutch bearings.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
if the noise is a bad throwout bearing it'd be affected by engine speed when the clutch is pressed in, not vehicle speed since it contacts the pressure plate. will the noise change when the clutch is in AND you pull it into neutral?
Interesting. Most of my experience with the noise was that it was present when rolling to a stop. No noise at idle, and nothing (audible) at speeds > 15mph. One thing I discovered a few weeks ago when sitting in traffic at the top of the hill out on east Arapahoe is that if I rolled it down the hill at idle, the same noise was there. It seemed to come with the vehicle speed and not the engine speed. I'm almost certain it's rotational, but it does not seem to matter whether the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor, or released.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

pilot bearing is going to get worked when you are in gear at a stop with the clutch pressed in and the engine running.

does the make the noise if you are rolling to a stop with it in neutral, rolling to a stop, and not touching the clutch?

Like as you are coming to a stop clutch it and pull it into neutral, then let go of the clutch and finish coasting to a stop.
82 FJ40
Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Vice Commander

Loose flywheel bolts?
Is it slipping at all?
There are cheesy little paperclip looking clips that keep the fork and TO bearing aligned.......would it be possible that those are MIA and the TO bearing is kind of slapping back and forth?

This is intriguing! Be sure to post up root cause.

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

My bell housing bolts loosened for some unknown reason, and I had noise at deceleration, and when the clutch engaged to change gears. I only noticed the noise at slower speeds probably because there is less outside noise to mask the mechanical problem. Maybe something to check