Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Speaking of checking stuff - when I was airing up after the Bill Moore after-rally run, I saw the split in the split washers under the locking hub nuts looked like it was a little large. Got home and checked and all 12 nuts were practically finger-loose.

Safari Offroad was the last one to touch these, back in 2012. Not really their fault, they can stretch over time.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/

Last edited by Rzeppa; 09-14-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

My centering bolt on my spring pack was installed upside down, and the nut unwound, and the bolt dropped out. The springs started shifting on the trail, and in turn, the axle started moving. I was able to strap it back good enough to get back home, but new U bolts were needed to get the springs resecured after the new centering bolt was installed. A stressful trip back down the mountain, but all is well again.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtnkegger View Post
My centering bolt on my spring pack was installed upside down, and the nut unwound, and the bolt dropped out. The springs started shifting on the trail, and in turn, the axle started moving. I was able to strap it back good enough to get back home, but new U bolts were needed to get the springs resecured after the new centering bolt was installed. A stressful trip back down the mountain, but all is well again.
I broke a center pin on the left front spring pack at Cruise Moab 2003. Figured it out in the parking lot back in town when I got tire rub, was a WTF? moment. Then saw that the entire axle was pointed to the left. It was an interesting drive home.

I installed a new factory spring pack bolt on that HZJ75, but didn't need new U-bolts.

Why did you need new U-Bolts?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

The nuts were so fused to the u-bolt I had to put a big bar on my socket breaker bar, and break the u-bolt off with the nut. Both sides of the axle were like that. I tried to trail fix it, but all I had was a 3/8" socket wrench, which I quickly busted when I applied a lot of force. Lucky for me the wrench broke, and not the u-bolt on the trail. That would have been ugly.