Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default School me on 1st Gen pickups

Looking at picking up a 82 Longbed with a Buick V6 in it. (Blue one on Craigslist) We are negotiating a direct trade for a dirt bike I'm looking to get rid of.

What should I look for besides the normal wear and tear items? It looks like it has a lift, has been repainted (will check for massive amounts of bondo). The engine compartment looks fairly clean at the time of the photo at least. (Everything is probably spray bombed)

Most likely going to keep it built how it is, besides changing wheels and tires. Ive been wanting one of these for awhile, so I guess its time to see what they are like.

Thoughts? Anybody know the truck?
Trading a well ridden 97 KTM 300 MXC for it.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/4681958344.html
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've owned an '82 and an '80. Great trucks!

3 grand seems high for a 1st gen that is repainted and has a non-toyota engine. One of the high points of these trucks is that the stock 20 or 22R are great engines. Having it replaced with the buick kind of devalues it to me. Just my opinion. I've seen nice original well running examples that were a little rough around the edges sell for a lot less. Just have to be patient and grab them when they come up.

Look under the bed where the sheet metal sides go up and meet the underside of the bed and around the rear wheel wells. If it's bondo'd you'll likely see it there if it is not clearly visible elsewhere. Also look under the cab up near the front of the floorboards.

If you wanted to consider dropping another 22R in it, look to see if the wiring and other stock gear is hacked up. Also, '82 will need to pass emissions if you're on the front range, so consider asking the seller to get it done prior to the sale/trade.

that's not the stock '82 headlight configuration, so if it was replaced, look for front end damage possibly.

That's all I can think of. They are pretty simple trucks, so if it runs well and feels solid, then go for it.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Check steering. I've noticed the push rod steering parts wear out pretty regularly. Martin gives great advice and I'd follow it for sure. Just be meticulous.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM

I just sold my 22r powered 1983 Toyota pickup for $2500. It had a quality lift (OME) and 4.88 gears and electric locker in the rear. I'd say it seem high in price.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Also note that in the current state of that truck it will not pass emission inspection the boulder county (or any emission county).
Old 09-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Im not too worried about emissions....

If the truck is as good as the guy said it is, the trade is still in my favor.
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's never as good as they say it is. Just sayin.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver