Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here is a freq I added from a search on the Rubicon

Hi Robert, try 146.805 pl 123 minus. The KA6GWY/R.
It's used for S&R activities here in El Dorado County.
Most deputies have ham licenses."
One other guy said it worked great to get a medavac team in there.

I tokk Dave's file and added the repeater above and the Moab repeaters from the link in the other thread. I then made the following Groups

MG1 - Denver/Boulder Repeaters
MG2 - Colorado Connection
MG3 - Moab Repeaters - 3 only seemed like they would cover
MG4 - 2M Simplex Channels
MG5- Rubicon (Eldorado Vally)

I also have in the file all the 2M repeaters across Colorado

Since we (I at least) use 2M, I thought I would start with just that. It's easy to copy and paste between files to add stuff. I was going to do the 70cM after we get what is a good 2M list.

Am I just running amok or do you guys see value in this? If you do, look it over and lets add other 2M repeaters that might be useful.

There probably are a few emergency ones that might be good to add.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Last edited by Romer; 02-23-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good deal, Romer.

I had:
group 1 as FRS (this for me is useful because people I ski, ride and hike with use FRS and the VX-7R with a Diamond has got to be about the best FRS receiver ever)

group 2 was CB (not useful in the pickup, although I do listen to the semis when we're in the 4Runner, the beauty of NMO mounts is that I can swap antennas in no time)

group 3 is Front Range 6m, 2m, 1.25m and 70cm repeaters (this is the group I leave my VX-7R on most of the time)

group 4 Colorado Connected Repeaters statewide

group 5 2m simplex channels for Colorado (15KHz spacing)

group 6 Calling frequencies on the bands the VX-7R can do, so 50.3FM (West Coast calling), 50.4AM (National), 52.525FM (National Calling), 146.520 (National), 223.500 (National), 446.00 (National)

When I travel I usually let the radios find the stations, using the Smart Search deal. It generates a new group of local stations that gets flushed when you go out of Smart Search. I'll sometimes program active ones to regular memory if it's a place we go more than once. For example, I have some of the Moab, Flagstaff and Sedona repeaters that seemed to always have activity programmed into the FT-7800R that's going into Red Chili. I dunno, I'm just lazy mostly and let the radio do the work for places I'm only visiting temporarily.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, do you use the 6M, 70cm and 1.25m bands. I have only used 2M so far. I think the 7800 only does 2M and 70cM. One reason whyy I wanted to do 2M first and then add in the 70cM.

Can you tell me more about group 6. I haven't reached that part of my education yet.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Dave, do you use the 6M, 70cm and 1.25m bands. I have only used 2M so far. I think the 7800 only does 2M and 70cM. One reason whyy I wanted to do 2M first and then add in the 70cM.

Can you tell me more about group 6. I haven't reached that part of my education yet.
The VX-7R will TX on all four bands (although 1.25cm is only 300mW). The national calling frequencies are simplex channels that everyone agrees to use to hail someone. This would be when you call CQ and look for a simplex contact. Also they are the frequencies we are supposed to monitor in the backcountry.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The VX-7R will TX on all four bands (although 1.25cm is only 300mW). The national calling frequencies are simplex channels that everyone agrees to use to hail someone. This would be when you call CQ and look for a simplex contact. Also they are the frequencies we are supposed to monitor in the backcountry.
Thanks Dave.

I updated the file and this is realy just re-organizing Dave's file and adding Moab and the Rubi so it makes sense to me. In this way I will know whats there. I also want a file I can use on my 7800.

So I added the 70CM, FRS, GMRS, National and looks like police and CDOT

Here is the way I have it organized

MG1 - Denver/Boulder area 2M
MG2 - Colorado Connection
MG3 - Moab Repeaters/ Rubicon - only 1 rptr for Eldorado cnty
MG4 - 2M Colorado Simplex
MG5 - 2M Colorado Repeaters (Not Denver Area of CC)
MG6 - National Freqs - I included 6M and 222
MG7 - Denver Boulder 70cM
MG8 - Colorado 70cM
MG9 - GRS/GMRS/CDOT/CSP FERN

What's Fern?

Like I said it only has the2M and 70CM for now.

Again, if nothing else this was useful to me so I could understand what was in there.

Thanks again Dave for the list
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Last edited by Romer; 02-23-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Great work guys! I did have Wes relocate Daves File to members only so ROMO you might want to put yours there too!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

This is really cool. Had some setup issues though.

I'm running vista-64 bit and tried to use the unsigned driver for windows xp-64. Took a bit but if you press F8 at startup you canm allow unsigned drivers for this boot only.

Next needed to configure the com port to 4 and then go into control panel and turn the fifo buffers down.

Once I worked through all of that it worked flawlesly. I like how this display gives the freq number and the tag entered in the VX Commander.

I then enabled the Memory groups the way Dave mentioned. In plain memory mode you have access to all and can scroll through them all as one big list.

Now to get this good stuff into the 7800

Kevin - I don't understand the need to move this to the Members only section. Nothing club related is in the file. Why the concern? I don't think my little 8K file would cause any bandwidth issues (Would it wes) and the key words are already in the section to create Google hits.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

VX Commander can do SW mods to enhance the functionality of the radio

TX Frequencies:
Freeband: 40-224.995Mhz and 300-579.995Mhz
Mars/Cap: 50Mhz-54Mhz, 140Mhz-174Mhz, 222Mhz-225Mhz, and 420Mhz-470Mhz.

Can someone who has done this elaborate on the benifit. Not sure what Mars/cap or freeband means.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post

Kevin - I don't understand the need to move this to the Members only section. Nothing club related is in the file. Why the concern? I don't think my little 8K file would cause any bandwidth issues (Would it wes) and the key words are already in the section to create Google hits.

Sorry Romer.....I looked but didn't find you agreed but I thought we all had decided. My bad....Just figure we offer a lot to non-RS members and I obviously feel pretty strong about keeping some of our efforts exclusive to those in the club who's dues make all this possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

There's nothing secret about it. But, yeah, we might want to move it to Member's Only to keep Google from finding it and having every VX-7R owner in the world downloading it.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I'll be happy to give you some twin lead to make the J-pole antenna. Last time I was on with my VX-7R I was sitting inside at my desk and I think I sounded fine according to the others that were online that night.
Love to see a picture of your antenna, Chris.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.