Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Matt, It comes with an antenna which has worked fine for me on the trail. When I'm home I use my $10 j-pole.
I've been thinking about how I will likely use the radio. Most of the time, I'll be talking with you guys (or listening in) on Monday nights. Since that's my kid night, I'll probably be moving around the house getting the kids ready for bed. So I want an antenna that will allow me to talk to you guys from inside the house, without tying me down to one place. Hence the research into a bigger antenna for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have a Diamond SRH-77CA and a Maldol MH-209SMA, along with my stock Yaesu with its 6 meter extension....The MH-209 has less range than the stock, but it makes the radio much more manageable. This is the antenna I will use on the trail for sure. It's super flexible and lets the radio fit easier in my Tuffy.
Dave, thanks for this -- just the kind of information I was hoping for.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I've been thinking about how I will likely use the radio. Most of the time, I'll be talking with you guys (or listening in) on Monday nights. Since that's my kid night, I'll probably be moving around the house getting the kids ready for bed. So I want an antenna that will allow me to talk to you guys from inside the house, without tying me down to one place. Hence the research into a bigger antenna for this purpose.

Dave, thanks for this -- just the kind of information I was hoping for.
I went with this Diamond antenna after talking with Bruce Miller. It has a vast improvement over stock! Collapsed seems to be smiler performance to stock but extended seems to perk up performance quite a bit! I like and dislike the fold over base and made it mo betta by slipping an inch of poly tubing over the antenna so when it's over the hinge the antenna is more ridged but simply slide it up and the radio can lay flat with the antenna upright....works good! The J pole antenna seems like a good solution but if I really need a non mobile radio at the house I might as well get a cheap used mobile and set it up.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have the Diamond SRH-320A, which looks like the one in Dave's photo but a bit shorter. It's 14" and I can do the monday night rag chew from my study and I am at the bottom of a hill in my hood.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Disappointing

Ordered from Hamcity.com:

VX-7RB
A - Amateur Transceiver Handheld 50/144/440 SMA
$276.00

MH-209SMA
Antenna Handheld 144/440 SMA
$19.95

SRH789
Antenna Handheld 95~1100 SMA
$29.95

CMP460A
Microphone Speaker Handheld
$49.95

Shipping: $9.52
Order Total: $385.37

I was sorely tempted to order the Comet HT-224 rather than the SRH789, but in the end I went with the big mutha. Hants recommended the HT-224, and it seems like a great antenna for its size. I could see starting an antenna collection.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very cool! Great little radio!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice Matt.

I got all the stuff to program that when you get it
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

I like the SRH-789. It definitely pulls in better than the stock antenna and collapsed it about the same hight. The hinge at the bottom bugged me but a 1" piece of plastic tubing made that mo betta. I just slide it up and the antenna can hinge and slid down the antenna isn't so floppy. The speaker mike makes the little radio more clumsy than the antenna. I like Romers antenna too but decided to try something different as thats the way to really see whats betta. I think any antenna that is longer than the rubber ducky is an improvement. Although the short stubby one seems to do almost the same as the RD. maybe it's not the bigger antennas are better more than the stock RD sucks!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Quote:
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I've heard a few people say that, but I've never found the stock VX-7R antenna to be that bad. With its 6m top coil, my original Yaesu antenna sits pretty much in the middle of the performance range of the four antennas I've tried (I also have a rubber ducky from a Radio Shack Pro-25 scanner). I wonder if your original antenna is broken? That's one of the downsides to the rubber duckies, the flexibility tends to make their lifespan shorter.
Thats a thought! Since I procured it used I have no idea of it's history.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Quote:
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
This one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=007

Bought it last Saturday and should be getting it today

Ken, I think I am going to buy the same cable. What software are you using? Did you buy his cable for the FT-7800 as well?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

I actually have the commander SW and the ADM stuff Yaesu sells. I wanted to try both and the Commander SW is fine.

Your welcome to borrow my cable if you want
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan