Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist". Excellent high performance motorcycle handbook: http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Vo.../dp/0965045021
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Was given the following, will be working through them:

Almost done with Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert Kiyosaki

The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton

Also Rich Dad's Increase Your Financial IQ: Get Smarter With Your Money by Robert Kiyosaki
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew Crawford
Perfect reading for anybody who likes to wrench on old cars or bikes or, really anything.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I'm not an avid reader, but I finished this one in 3 days on my recent vacation. INCREDIBLE story of a guy who ran track in the 1936 Olympics, then went to war (WWII in the Pacific). Got shot down in his bomber over the Pacific, survived for 40-something days on a life raft, and then got captured and spent 2+ years in a Japanese POW camp. If ever you feel like your entitled life is difficult, just read what this guy went through and you'll feel pretty good about what you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World.../dp/0739319698

Unbroken is coming out as a movie later this month, so if you like to read a book and then see the movie, here's your shot. Not sure if the movie will be any good (directed by Angelina Jolie), but this is still one of the best books/stories I've ever read.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Picked up The Wealthy Barber Returns by David Chilton

and

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray at the Goodwill for about $2.50 each a couple weeks ago.

The Wealthy Barber series is written for Canadians, but a lot of the same principles apply. I heard about it from my coworkers up in Canada so decided to give it a try.

I have heard about Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus for ever and ever, but I've found it to a page-turner and I would highly recommend it for anyone who is married, engaged, dating, or just interested in having better communication with the opposite sex. I guess a person can only do one thing at a time, but like so many of these other books I wish I would have picked this one up a long time ago.

1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just finished Hope. About Tom Walsh who discovered the Camp Bird Mine outside Ouray and his daughter Evelyn, who purchased the legendary (allegedly cursed) Hope diamond.

If you have driven Imogene you have driven past it. Closed now.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Read The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (A Sherlock Holmes story) to get a break from personal development books, and took it with me on vacation. Good read, went fast.

Started Who Needs a Road? by Harold Stevens and Albert Podell, need to keep working on it. Again a more relaxing read while on vacation. Decided as a good self-respecting Land Cruiser owner I needed to own this book so I bought it.

Favorite quote near the end of the book on page 381: "The Land Cruiser. How that machine-moving parts, wires, pistons, rubber wheels-how they have become a part of me, an extension of myself. It stands there, absorbing the morning rays of the sun, still cold and damp, but a turn of the key and it grows warm and carries me off, wherever I want to go, any place, every place. It becomes my life, and if it fails me, so goes my life. Simple."

Sep/Oct 2003 TT has an article about Harold Stevens that I'll dig up as well.

Also started The China Study by Thomas Campbell which was a study on nutrition and apparently makes a case for vegetarian diet, though I haven't gone more than a few pages into it. I've heard about it for years and it's been on my shelf for a long time.

Read a little bit of Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Got a little bogged down but it was interesting reading about his classifications of whales and to start getting a feel for the story.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - a book written from a devil's perspective of trying to lead a believer away from God.

Wheat Belly by William Davis, who researched the effects of modern wheat on our health

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, a book about survival and expansion of the gene pool.

Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein. A biography of one of the wealthiest businessmen in the world.

Last edited by subzali; 11-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Read The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to get a break from personal development books, and took it with me on vacation. Good read, went fast.

Started Who Needs a Road? by Harold Stevens and Albert Podell, need to keep working on it. Again a more relaxing read while on vacation.

Read a little bit of Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Got a little bogged down but it was interested reading about his classifications of whales and to start getting a feel for the story.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Wheat Belly by William Davis

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein
That's a good list. If you're into Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend these two.

The House of Silk
Moriarty

My current 'To-Read' stack has these in them.

Here I am
It's What I Do
Bending Adversity
Cinematography: Theory and Practice

Actively reading these.

The Middle Passage
Blue Ocean Strategy
Photography After Frank
Interaction of Color
Old 03-31-2015, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
That's a good list. If you're into Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend these two.

The House of Silk
Moriarty

My current 'To-Read' stack has these in them.

Here I am
It's What I Do
Bending Adversity
Cinematography: Theory and Practice

Actively reading these.

The Middle Passage
Blue Ocean Strategy
Photography After Frank
Interaction of Color
I had never read Sherlock Holmes so I decided to give one a try. It's pretty good fiction.

It's estimated that 130 million books have been published, how many is a good number to read in a lifetime?

How about 10,000? Pretty ambitious.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Started Who Needs a Road? by Harold Stevens and Albert Podell, need to keep working on it. Again a more relaxing read while on vacation. Decided as a good self-respecting Land Cruiser owner I needed to own this book so I bought it.
I read this book every few years. Not sure I'll ever be able to take such a trip -- should have done it in my 20s.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
the club voted to not tell Matt Farr what happened at the meeting.