Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic

I have to say, the Roundel magazine for the BMW club is a really solid club mag.
Haven't been a BMWCCA member in at least 10 years but loved his column. I think I need to pick that one up, thanks for the tip!

I just enjoyed "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. A transcontinental flight by teen brothers in a Piper Cub in 1966. Fast read but really enjoyed it, lots of parallels to land cruising.
http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Passage...ght+of+passage
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Been hankering to re-read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. Anyone have a copy?

Read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable by Patrick Lencioni last week. This is a fast-reading leadership fable that boils down to a pyramid of values upon which to build a successful team. I definitely have some work to do implementing this at home and at work.

Finished Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace - One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson. There is some controversy surrounding this story so the jury is out until I read more I guess. I noticed Perry mentioned the sequel - Stones Into Schools, earlier in this thread.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 11-19-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Just finished reading the autobiography on Elon Musk. Very intelligent man and motivated to do things where there isn't even a box to think outside of. Incredible for one person to create or be on the leading edge of 4 companies that have been successful.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
Just finished reading the autobiography on Elon Musk. Very intelligent man and motivated to do things where there isn't even a box to think outside of. Incredible for one person to create or be on the leading edge of 4 companies that have been successful.
I see >5 Elon Musk bios on Amazon. Which one did you read? I am interested.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
the club voted to not tell Matt Farr what happened at the meeting.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Been hankering to re-read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. Anyone have a copy?
I have a copy you can borrow.
TLCA #23154
1984 Toyota Pickup "The Geisha"
1994 FZJ 80 "REDRUM" All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I do.

My 'to-read' stack never seems to grow shorter. Currently reading 3 books...

Several short sentences about writing - Verlyn Klinkenborg

This is beyond brilliant. Do you write? Thinking about writing? It's a must read.

Photography After Frank - Philip Gefter

Series of essays on the work of Robert Frank and those he inspired. His seminal work was The Americans.

Guerrilla Marketing - Jay Conrad Levinson

Reading everything I can to build the business.

The rest of the stack contains:
Bird by Bird: Some instructions on writing and life - Anne Lamott
Dark Star Safari - Paul Theroux
Solitude: Seeking wisdom in extremes - Robert Kull
The $100 Startup - Chris Guilllebeau
The Personal MBA - Josh Kaufman
Word of Mouth Marketing - Andy Sernovitz

Then there's a whole stack of cinematography related stuff. Those are ongoing.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yesterday finished Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace - One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson. I read that there is some controversy surrounding this story but nevertheless this is one of my top recommended books to read.

Your next read - by Jon Krakauer:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Cups-Dec...cups+of+deceit
Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yesterday finished Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace - One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson.

Your next read - by Jon Krakauer:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Cups-Dec...cups+of+deceit
I heard there was a 60 Minutes expose, but didn't know there was a book. I will definitely read it. Thanks
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Hmm....read a VERY depressing statistic yesterday...said only 30% of people *ever* read a book cover to cover after they graduate high school. I would like to see the research on that for verification, but it feels like a relatively true statement. Very sad...

Been averaging a couple of books a week lately, mostly reading about how disgusting our food really is, and reading about how to scale up my gardening to provide healthy food for more people...I probably should start a thread on the Politics Forum...but our food supply is downright scary...

Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal - Joel Salatin

Holy Cows and Hog Heaven - Joel Salatin

Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan (read this last year but reading the Young Reader's edition with Olivia, Amber's oldest daughter)

Food, Inc. - ~Eric Schlosser, various others

Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong - James McWilliams I love to read the opposite viewpoint when I am learning about new ideas, and his "opposite" viewpoint is not all that different, but brought up some very interesting ideas I had not considered.

Wolf at the Table: Memoir of my Father - Augusten Burroughs

Some "boring" books on Organic Gardening by Elliot Coleman, Raising Chickens, and random business books.

Did I mention my new house is across he street from the library, and I think I have 27 books checked out right now?

Of course at bedtime I read a LOT of Dr. Seuss and Clifford...
A few of these are on my list, based on a recommendation from Tai Lopez.

He also has Chicken Tractor by Andy Lee & Pat Foreman, Why Grassfed is Best by Jo Robinson and Quality Pasture by Allan Nation.

Last edited by subzali; 11-02-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

On a series of Southwest Airlines flights over the last couple days (conferences and symposiums galore!), I re-read the first third of The Martian until the free in-flight digital copy ended. Now I'm going to have to finish re-reading the book when I get home.

I just picked up a copy of The Last Civilized Place: Sijilmasa and Its Saharan Destiny which I am excited to read. One of the authors is my old boss from when I lived/worked in Tunisia a decade ago.

Another one that I'll be reading in the next month or so is Robopocalypse. One of my grad students highly recommended it to me. I think it's a series of books and this is the first in line?
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604