Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo View Post
John,
After your statement about sewing up a tire, I searched and found some videos showing it being done. So taking videos with a grain of salt, I would like to know what you have in your tire kit in addition to a plug kit. For two reasons, I am a tech inspector and second would like to upgrade my tire kit. The video showed using heavy thread, but did not show how they punched holes to run thread through, assuming an awl. Then they put a big honking patch on inside of tire.
I have seen that video, it's demonstrated on a piece of a tire, and more complicated than necessary. My repair kit includes high quality plug tools, with large t-handles, one of which is an awl/reamer that can be used to create the holes for lacing up the cut. The better and quicker way to get off the trail is to use aircraft safety wire to feed through the holes and twist tie across the cut, and insert as many plugs into the cut as necessary to stop or severely limit the loss of air. I also carry a full CO2 PowerTank, rather than a slow compressor.
I do carry a selection of patches, in addition to a couple dozen plugs, just in case.
The other advantage I have, is that I run bias ply tires, which are typically much more durable than their radial counterparts, but the only sidewall that I have ever had to repair on the trail was a radial Super Swamper SSR.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 AM
Trail Ready

Bringing this back from the dead if that's OK. Im doing extensive body work to my truck this spring, and I'm not sure I'll have the spare tire carrier finished by Cm. I will have a spare at camp for sure. But I read through the thread that I would need a tire repair kit if not carrying a spare on the trail. Is that the consensus? What about bringing a inner tube?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
Bringing this back from the dead if that's OK. Im doing extensive body work to my truck this spring, and I'm not sure I'll have the spare tire carrier finished by Cm. I will have a spare at camp for sure. But I read through the thread that I would need a tire repair kit if not carrying a spare on the trail. Is that the consensus? What about bringing a inner tube?

That would work but it's probably not that quick. Depending on which trail you're on there could be 19 other vehicles in the group. The Gunner will be by your side throughout the repair without question & possibly the entire group. My $.02 recommendation would be to throw a few plugs in and continue on. 15-20+ plugs...might be grounds for turning around and putting a tube in back at camp or replacing the tire in town.

IIRC, I grabbed a super sized plug kit and a few valve stems from O'reilly's for pennies.

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com